All reviewsbistro staffbusiness tripquiet locationstarbucks coffeevery nice staynice lobbylobby areafloor roomcomplimentary breakfastmattresswedding
Reviewed 12 March 2017

It's nice to know that you can rely on Marriott Courtyard to provide a consistent experience. This one was no exception. The lobby reminded me of many others, so I instantly felt at 'home.' The bistro is expensive for what it is, but the food is good and the service was great. It is, in fact, the service that distinguishes this stay for me. From the man and woman who worked check-in, to the bistro staff- they could not have been better!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Amie_Wilkerson, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chicago Elgin/West Dundee, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2017

Dear Rainewrites,

Thank you for your lovely review. You have certainly made my day as well as all the associates that you mentioned. It is our goal to provide stellar service to all of our guests. Exceptional associates who exceed guest expectations are a source of pride at Marriott. Our Front Desk and Bistro associates truly define the tradition of exceptional service Marriott strives to maintain.

If there is anything that we can ever do for you , please let me know. Thank you again and have a wonderful day!

Amie Wilkerson
Dual General Manager

Reviewed 27 February 2017

My family and I recently stayed at the Courtyard Chicago Elgin in West Dundee, Illinois on July 2016, and were originally checked into room 319, but were then moved to room 309 after finding possible bedbugs in the room. The following is my review of my stay at this hotel.

A little background on myself:
Years ago my workplace had put out an advisory for everyone to check for bedbugs while travelling as there were many reports of people coming home with bedbugs in my hometown. Since then, to protect my family, I started checking my rooms for bedbugs before staying in them using the techniques outlined by Molecular Biologist David Cain and his YouTube videos on how to search for bedbugs. So far I’ve only found them five times on my vacations (including this review) prior to staying in a hotel room, and I have been very fortunate not to have taken any home with me. Since then I had decided to document all of my stays in hopes that others including myself would have a better picture on how safe and clean my experience was. My intention is not to put down the hotel in anyway, but really to document my personal experiences staying there. So please don’t be offended…

Review cont'd:
On a cleanliness scale, I rate these rooms a 4/10, and I keep it at a “high” bedbug risk rating because the cleanliness under and behind the bed was terrible, and I found a number of these possible bedbugs in my first inspected room. The area behind the mattresses and behind our sofa bed looks like it had never been cleaned, and in my second room inspection I found an overabundance of spiders in the room. After speaking with housekeeping, I was told that there could be a high number of bugs because there are some suites with windows and balconies that open out, which may explain how they are getting in. Aside from that, in my second inspection only half of the sheets had stains on them, and had to be replaced before getting settled in.
On the plus side, however, because it is located right beside a cemetery it is very peaceful place to stay at, and people tend to not play loud music or hang out in the area. There are two gas stations conveniently located in front and it is very close to the I-94 tollway

Pros:
-Quiet location near I-94 Tollway
-Great value

Cons:
-Possible bed bugs found
-Room was dirty when I arrived (garbage underneath and behind the beds)
-Half of the sheets had stains and needed to be changed

My overall impression: Location and price was right, although I’m not happy with the cleanliness of the suite and the bugs I found. I’m 50-50 on whether I’d stay here again, because I like the location, however I found that the tollgate exit going to this hotel was often broken, and it was a huge nuisance when travelling toward to-and-from the greater Chicago area. There is a whole lot of construction going on in the area right now, but it’s nice to see so many gas stations and restaurants located close to this area.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Sherri V, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chicago Elgin/West Dundee, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2017

Hello Alpiglet,
Thank you so much for your detailed feedback regarding your stay with us in July. I do remember this stay as we had reported your concerns to our pest services. The room in question was inspected by our company's preferred service which they reported to be clear. We truly appreciate the concern you display for the safety of your family and we above all others hold that same concern and did act immediately upon your raising this with our staff during the dates of your stay.

Be well in your future travels.

Sherri V.

Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

Nice atmosphere , friendly, efficient staff. We were here with a party of 8 including a one year old and the staff could not have been nicer or more accommodating . Cody at the front desk was such a big help. I would have given the hotel 5 stars but they stop serving breakfast at 10 am which I feel is too early for Sat and Sundays., otherwise a great value.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2016

This was a 3-day solo business trip; I have stayed at this Courtyard for prior trips as the location is convenient to my client. I have to say that the people here were very friendly, very professional, and helpful.

I had two special room requests that I made as part of checking in through the app - both were honored. A nice start!

I had both breakfast and dinner at the bistro. Not only were the people responsive and helpful, but the eggs in the morning were done as well as at any fancy restaurant. You know how sometimes hotel scrambled eggs are dry or the portions skimpy? Not here.

I tried the horseradish sandwich and took the recommendation of the server to have it heated first. Way good.

Overall, Marriott delivered on the Courtyard promise. I am planning to come back again next year.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2016

Staying at this property is pretty much like every other Courtyard (yay for consistency). They have the new "Bistro" in the lobby....kind of over priced but there if you need it (there is a place called Alexander's across the parking lot....would recommend it!)
Only issue I had was the lack of parking and worse, lack of lighting in parking lot. I had to park in the Towne Place parking lot (arrived at 8 pm) and then walk all the way around the building (no key card to get in the back or side entrances yet). About 1/3 of the parking lot lights were out. I mentioned this to both the front desk attendant who checked me in and the one who checked me out. The second attendant was nice enough to give me some bonus points. As a woman traveling alone for business, I take hotel safety VERY seriously. I stayed during the last week of October 2016...hopefully the lights were fixed immediately.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Amie_Wilkerson, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chicago Elgin/West Dundee, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2016

Dear Momvold,

Thank you for feedback. We did take your comments to the desk very seriously. We have already started replacing these lights to ensure there is proper lighting. Safety and security of all our guests is our number one priority. Thank you again, and we do hope you will stay with us again.

Amie Wilkerson