“Flawlessly Prepared Breakfast Classics”

Walker Bros Original Pancake House
Ranked #1 of 64 Restaurants in Wilmette
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Scores of satisfied diners on the North Shore would doubtlessly call Walker Bros the finest breakfast restaurant in the state. I would be inclined to agree. No matter whether one is in the mood for something sweet or savory, protein-packed or light and (somewhat) healthy, there is something to please every pallet at this renowned Wilmette staple.
I ordered the Venetian Benedict, which was stunningly good. The crisply toasted English muffin topped with a skillfully poached, runny egg complemented the refreshing vegetables and creamy hollandaise sauce perfectly. It was topped off with Walker Bros' signature thick, supremely satisfying bacon. (I don't usually order meat at restaurants when I can help it, but this bacon was worth making an exception.)
One little-known or perhaps under-appreciated tidbit to keep in mind: the hot chocolate here--smothered in a heavenly truckload of whipped cream--is a richly decedent addition to an already stupendous meal.
I found the staff here to be friendly, the stained-glass atmosphere to be pleasant, the service to be quick, and the prices to be reasonable. I've eaten a lot of good breakfast food in my life, but would have a hard time naming anywhere that does it better than Walker Bros.

Date of visit: July 2021
Write a reviewReviews (303)

Reviewed 17 January 2021 via mobile

We drove almost an hour out of the way to pickup some apple pancakes to bring back to Michigan. We were told 15-20 minutes, which actually ended up being more than 45 minutes. The staff was rude and unapologetic. The food was good, but we are incredibly disappointed with the service.

Date of visit: January 2021
1  Thank jonmP1450JO
Reviewed 5 December 2020

I have to start with the fact that I LOVE Walker Bros. Anytime that we are in the Chicago area, we always visit at least on of them. This trip was no exception. We love the Wilmette location because it has plenty of parking and cozy nooks.

We were seated right away in a room, all by ourselves. By the end of our meal there was another couple who was seated in the same area, but they were clear across the room from us and we felt that the restaurant did a great job being social distance conscious.

As usual, we ordered too much… but there is no helping it… We got a German Pancake that was literally spilling out of the plate due to the shear size of it. It was delicious, eggy and sweet. We also got a Chipotle Chicken Crepe in sauce served with Potato Pancakes, absolutely amazing savory dish. At the end of the meal we could not resist a Cherry Kijafa, it is our favorite sweet crepe dish. What a treat! Can’t wait to go back!

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 23 May 2020

Walker Brothers is the original and best. A classic restaurant for 60 years, this amazing breakfast palace has been a part of my family's life for two generations now. I've been coming here since I was a little kid, and before that, my parents ate here all the time too. I'm not a Chicago resident, but whenever I come to town to visit family, this is the place that we always go and never, ever skip. Everything about this restaurant is a perfect encapsulation of how to serve food right. Many of the staff have been working here since I first started coming more than 30 years ago, and the food remains just as good as it ever was. They have an unwavering attention to quality that has never produced a bad or disappointing meal in the hundreds of visits my family and I have made here. The restaurant itself is beautifully designed and furnished with stained-glass windows and wood accents. Even the placement of the restaurant near the Metra tracks is a bonus; you might get to enjoy the sight of a passing train (always a thrill for me when I was a kid, and for children in my extended family group now).

Although picking from the excellent menu is a challenge, my top recommendations are the hat-sized German Pancake (or the Dutch Baby for a smaller, slightly thicker version) and the Apple Cinnamon Pancake, or the Asparagus Garden omelet if you want eggs. The hash browns with cheese are a delight, and the hot chocolate is also well worth trying. Honestly, everything I've ever tried on the menu has been good (and often has enough left over for another meal at home). Prices are extremely reasonable for the exceptional quality of the food. Also, the frozen take-home Apple Cinnamon Pancakes are well worth purchasing for later and travel very well (when I visit at Christmas, I often pick one up to have on Christmas morning at home).

When a place is as much an institution in your life as this one is, you want everyone to have a chance to discover it too. Take my advice and come visit; it's a restaurant for the ages.

Date of visit: December 2019
2  Thank vzabaly
Reviewed 3 March 2020

Had a late breakfast here one day while I was in the area for work.
Very friendly and engaging staff. Very impressed with the waitress who took care of myself and a co-worker while we were there.
Good selection of food and the coffee was hot on a very cold day.
I'll be back for sure the next time work brings me this way.

Date of visit: February 2020