“Delicious local Italian”

Convivio Italian Artisan Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Convivio Italian Artisan Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 278 Restaurants in Carmel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I live far west (Danville) so driving to Carmel to eat isn't something I make a habit of, but I've seen great reviews of Convivio since it opened and decided to make the special trip for my birthday. I love Italian food but hate crowds and especially hate waiting, so we got to the restaurant around 4 p.m. on a Saturday to make sure we avoided both. Mission accomplished. We didn't even make a reservation, we just showed up and were immediately seated. It has an upscale look but I didn't feel uncomfortable in jeans and a light jacket. The prices are what you'd expect from the location and quality of the food.

I'm not Italian but I've been to Italy and the menu is as close to authentic as any place I've been in the states. They're known for their pasta which is house-made. We started with the meatballs appetizer which was phenomenal and the Insalata Mista, a salad of field greens, diced tomatoes, spicy pecans, feta, apple, and balsamic vinaigrette. If I could order it again, I'd get the dressing on the side because it was a bit much for me, but still delicious. We told the server we were going to be sharing the starters and she took the liberty of splitting the salad for us, which we appreciated. Overall, she was a great server. I can't remember her name but she has an Italian accent.

For the entrees, we ordered the pesto pasta with roasted tomatoes and shrimp along with the red bell pepper pasta with chicken. The dishes were both underwhelming, in my opinion. The red bell pepper pasta was supposed to be in a cream sauce, but there was barely any sauce at all in the dish we were served, so it was very dry. The pesto was better but I should have asked for more parmesan. The bill is brought in a book by Dante which is a nice touch. Overall, it was a great dining experience and I'd definitely come back to try some of the other dishes.

Reviewed 17 April 2018

We were disappointed that they do not serve lasagna at dinner, only lunch. The restaurant was really loud, and our table was where the sun was directly in my eyes.
My pasta was top-notch delicious, but the sauce was heavy with garlic.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Stopped for lunch and wasn't sure what to expect. As soon as we walked in and saw the house-made pasta in the refrigerator case, we knew we were in for a treat! Both our meals were fantastic. For starters, he had mushroom soup that was creamy and delicious, I had a Caesar salad with anchovies that made my mouth sing! For our entrees, he had Lasagne and I had Tonnarelli alla Puttanesca. We fell in love with the place! Can't wait to try the Zionsville location for dinner soon!

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

I met friends here for supper recently. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting that much. Another Italian restaurant (usually called Italian because of the volume of spicy red sauce on everything).
Convivio wasn’t what I expected.

The pastas are fresh. Fresh. Handmade. Homemade. And delicious!

I started with a fresh, tasty and delicious caprese — just the right size to begin, and continued with wild boar pappardelle. Hard decision for my entree because the menu offers a great selection.

Great selection did NOT mean in this case so many choices they’re all generic...they all taste the same. At Convivio a good number but prepared individually offering a deep-palate dining experience.

I had to decide between Saltimbocca Romana or pasta. Glad I had the choice!
My entree was delectable with subtle, herbal palate balanced by the boar. The boar was cooked to perfection.

I have to mention the wine list — offered by Italian region, with a map. Our server suggested a Tuscan: Il Fauno, which was just right for our entree choices. We all loved the extensive wine list AND that the servers offer helpful suggestions.

For dessert I had the seasonal crostata. I’d actually drive across the State for the crostata which was incredibly fresh and tasty (with blueberries). My friends raves about their cornetti — and the beautiful presentation.

Now I’ve worked myself into a hunger. But no problem, Convivio is going to be there for a long time to come!

Reviewed 8 February 2018

Today I started with the soup of the month, Lobster bisques. I then got the Rigatoni Funghi with sausage. The mushrooms were wild mushrooms and the sausage had really good seasoning. My wife did the half and half. Her Lasagna was just the right size and the Caesar salad had slices of Parmesan cheese. We decided to end with Chocolate cake to share and this was not only good and flavorful, but was presented well.

1  Thank Wheels282