“Great Food and atmosphere”

Great Wall Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 213 Restaurants in Elkhart
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: romance Fine Dine InFull bartake outcatering prefferd reservation for big group, if you have any questions please talk to manager cory or co-owner tony.We opened since 1985, Thank you for your support.
Reviewed 14 September 2016

Our waiter was efficient and friendly. We each ordered different dishes and all was great! I loved the Wonton Soup. Prices were reasonable. We will return.

1  Thank Carol S

Reviewed 23 August 2016 via mobile

Best Chinese food in Elkhart! Hot and sour soup is the best in the area. Service is prompt and courteous. No fancy decor here and none is needed. The food speaks for itself. If you are looking for a buffet you'll have to look elsewhere. I recommend the Mongolian beef. I've had this dish elsewhere many times, but this is the best!

Reviewed 10 July 2016

We went to the Great Wall restaurant on Saturday night ( tonight) July 9th , 2016 and we should have realised there was a reason why we were the only ones there at 8.30 pm. The waitress told us the full lobster was $23.00 only to later inform us that we get the tail only for that price. When the food came out it was all over salted and the lobster was not fresh or succulent for that price either. It was undercooked and rubbery with a gray tinge. We told them we could not eat it so the waitress said I will fix it up for you. They took a whole 10 percent off the price so $2.30 less. Secondly we ordered chicken and cashews only to be dished up a plate of shrimp and cashews with no vegetables in it at all. When we told the waitress she looked at me like she did not believe me that we ordered chicken and cashews. She checked what she wrote down and she had even written shrimp and cashews down on her notepad and my daughter and I don't even like shrimp. Reluctantly she took it away to come back with chicken in some nasty brown sauce that tasted over sweet. Also when we asked for " to go " boxes the waitress only brought a few small boxes out and did not put all our food in them but held a fair portion of all the food back. We asked for menus for the desert and she was not willing to bring us the menus. She then came to the table after we were half way through the ice cream and said, " Do you want me to take " IT " to the counter while you are having your ice cream. I said what is IT ? My daughter said, " your card mom " and i said . " oh you mean my card ? " and she looked at me like I was a nutcase. Needless to say we did not leave a tip and she was so upset when she asked me to sign the receipt because i simply signed it like she said to do and got up and left the restaurant vowing to never return . You would think the owners would be grateful if someone spent $100.00 in their restaurant. What followed next was nothing short of unbelievable. We were in our truck ready to leave the parking bay when there was a knock on my door. It was one of the waitresses who worked there. My daughter and i thought something was terribly wrong so I opened the door thinking we left something in the restaurant or that they were going to offer to give our money back from all the over salted food we did not eat but instead the waitress said , " Oh sorry but you are meant to leave something for gratefulness to show you are grateful. My mouth fell open .. she was chasing me down for a tip on top of all of this !!! I remained calm and said , " The reason I did not leave a tip is because the lobster which cost me around $23.00 was not even cooked and it was way too salty and there is no way it was worth $23.00" she said " Oh I see well next time when you come back you can tell them to make it with no salt ... and I thought to myself ARE YOU KIDDING !!! THERE WILL NEVER BE A NEXT TIME!!! " I just said ok and closed the door and drove off as fast as I could. We have just arrived home this Saturday July 9th , 2016 at 10:52pm and so i have written this review while it is all fresh in my mind to help someone out there to not be deceived by false advertising. They have won awards and all in the past and there are some reviews about it being an amazing restaurant in every way . I do really have to ponder on where these reviews came from and the next time I see a restaurant empty on a Saturday night I will not be dining there .

TonyYu610, Owner at Great Wall Chinese Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2016

Hi miss,
I'm sure you had reviewed wrong place, our Lobster price it's $28.95 for 2 tails, not 23$ cheap, and my waitress will never chase out the door for tip. I am the owner Anthony, we've been here since 1985, 31 years business mam.

Reviewed 25 April 2016

I stop there for their Low Mien all the time. One of the few Chinese restaurants that understand Low Mein gets egg noodles..

Reviewed 7 April 2016

I moved away from Elkhart over 10 years ago. I had often dined with co-workers and family at the Great Wall and it was a favorite place to dine then. I was visiting family and wanted Chinese. What a delight to return and find it has not changed. Still the same delicious food and great service.