“On Broadway”

Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: INDIANA'S OLDEST TAVERN Serving our friends for over 178 years! Casual dining, lively, friendly atmosphere, in a historic setting. BBQ Ribs, Pasta, Steaks,more Live entertainment!
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

We went for a retirement celebration for our office. Actually, it was more like a girls trip. We had a great time. Everyone there was friendly and fun. The atmosphere was casual. The food was very good. We loved the quainteness of the restaurant/bar. May repeat this for the next girls trip.

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

Was here for a group dinner. A neat building with lots of wood and character.
Cozy bar area as well.

We were a large group but the seating situation was just fine.

Drinks were very reasonably priced, but dinners not so much.

I had a ny strip that was fairly tasty but super thin so it was a bit tough and lacked the juiciness you’d expect in a steak.
Baked potato was still a touch hard.
Salad was lettuce in a bowl.

Colleagues had better luck however so I’ll give the food a okay rating overall.

Service was inconsistent though.
Perhaps it was our group size, but the server was visibly overwhelmed and as a result not present enough and when she was, she was too impatient and seemingly annoyed.
Forget asking questions about the menu- you’d better be completely ready when she shows up or be prepared to wait longer or get the rolled eyes treatment.
A second server apparently was not able to assist unless she had taken the order.

Food came out sporadically with a grumpy explanation and no apologies for timing.

In a town where options appear limited, Broadway has great promise to be the go-to spot for dinner.
Sadly, at least at our visit, inconsistencies prevented that promise from realization.

Reviewed 29 October 2017

My husband and I really enjoyed the tavern's atmosphere. It is the oldest tavern in the state. Also, the food and service was very good. We had steaks, ribeye and filet. They were both excellent. Their pretzeil with cheese and fried pickles and cheese were wonderful as well. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 24 October 2017

We arrived around 8 pm on a Saturday. Requested to sit in the covered outdoor area. It was a perfect fall evening and we didn't want to be inside. The server came to take our drink order. I ordered a glass of Cabernet. She came back with a white wine. I told her that wasn't Cabernet, as it's a red wine... She blamed me bartender. Sorry, but if you're behind a bar serving drinks, you should know at least the top 5.... Server was gone after we got our food. I had to go looking for help when needed 2 things we ordered but didn't receive. Finally she returned and stated there was a wedding in the back. Wasn't happy, felt like we weren't as important. Overall, food was good, service sucked. Disappointed, as it's a super cool building. Hope they get the service up to speed.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

Just had lunch here. Food was ok. The service on the other hand was horrible. I will never be back and I do not recommend this place. Regardless of the day and the activities going on on Madison. You would think customer service would be at the for front. Not for our server, only excuse.
And the fact that they responded with the 'ha ha' reaction on face book shows you just what kind of service you can expect from them in top of the issues we had. We expected them to be slow due to how busy it was in Madison. What we didn't expect was to get our drinks mixed up and not even full. Once we placed our order she brought our food out with no condiments for my husband's burger. She said she'd bring them back. She never did. He decided to eat since it would probably be cold by the time she got back. We never saw our server again until we flagged another server over. Did not check on us once, no drink refills and definitely no condiments for the burger. All of this on top of not being even the slightest bit friendly or welcoming. When we finally got our check I did let her know we wouldn't be returning. Instead of a sincere apology we got excuses. Working with the public is difficult but she did herself no favors and if she is reading this then hopefully she's also considering the career change as I suggested.