US$119
US$78
Hillside Inn(Madison)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsindoor poolnice hotelunder renovationsmall citybathroom sinkrooms are cleanone night stayhistoric districtclifty falls state parkhiemotelrefrigerator
Reviewed 25 February 2018

First, I give credit to the management for disclosing on the booking site that the property is under renovation. This wasn't really a problem and they did try to keep the noise down.

The problem started with check-in. I arrived at around 7:30 p.m. and the female front desk person didn't know that I had already paid in full through booking site. She also didn't know that I had booked a hot tub room. After sorting out this issue, the first room didn't have a stopper for the hot tub. I went back to the desk and she rummaged through a drawer before offering what looked like a kitchen sink stopper. I received another room. This one had a stopper but it was far from clean. There is insufficient hot water at this property to support a hot tub. It took well over an hour to fill the tub and it was just above luke warm water. Then, the key card for my room (102) kept deactivating. The first lady told me that room "always has problems;" and the scond warned me about cell phone deactivation (it wasn't anywhere near my cell). Neither one apologized.

I understand this property is trying to renovate, but accoording to the reviews, management has used this as an excuse dating back to at least April, 2017. The overall property isn't too bad, but they shouldn't sell something they don't have (i.e. a "hot" tub).

I would STRONGLY recommend asking questions (call) before booking to see if the renovations are complete or if you will get a room that has been finished. If you're booking a hot tub room ASK if they have fixed the hot water problem or you're wasting your money.

Bed was okay, TV was decent, and the Internet seemed to be fine and supported streaming video. The staff needs a LOT of training on hospitality. "Sorry" and "thank you" seem to not be in the vocbulary of acceptable statements to make to guests.

Room Tip: Wait for renovations to be done
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank IndyCessnaPilot
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Hi IndyCessnaPilot,

Thank you for contacting us about your experience at the Holiday Inn Express And Suites Madison IN.

It is unsettling to know that we fell short of your expectations in terms of the quality of service received, check in process and with the air conditioning system not working on the initial room allocated. I am sorry for the letdown and I appreciate your taking the time to let us know. I have shared your comments with hotel management, who responded with genuine concern for the impact this had on your stay. I know they appreciate your sharing your experience and am confident they will take steps so this doesn’t happen again.

Once more, thanks for leaving your thoughts and despite some setbacks, I hope you give us another chance to welcome you back soon. If you need anything else just send us an e-mail at ihgservice@ihg.com.

Best Regards,

Ronald R.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 16 November 2017

After one year again in this place. They are still renovating. Hotel is almost the same. Not much of visible improvement yet. Painting is new. Room was spacious and with refrigerator, coffee machine. They have a nice hot breakfast in the morning. Staff were super friendly and helpful. I thought the price was but high for the place like Madison and the overall level of the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed two nights. Clean, updated decor. Friendly staff. Complimentary hot breakfast. Convenient to lots of restaurants. Minutes from Madison Historic District, Clifty Falls State Park and Hanover College.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2017

9 years military I have been in a lot of hotels... this is by far in the top three for me. They are the most helpful, friendly, professional and just plain nicest people who strive to give you and your family a wonderful and pleasant away from home experience. From the general manager to the cleaning crew they are all wonderful and I will genuinely miss them! Every single one of you deserve 10 out of 5 Stars! Thank you all from the McMahel family!

Room Tip: Just ask at the desk and they can suggest the very best for you
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2017

Literally, A DUMP that charged us more than the Hampton Inn we stayed at in Rome, Georgia the night before. The Tourist Bureau should put some effort into getting a modern, clean hotel in Madison. Owners: Instead of remodeling, tear it down and build a new hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Paul F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Madison, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your most recent stay. I would like to apologize if we were not able to meet your expectations during your recent stay. We are in the process of a major remodeling effort so that we can provide a top line product to our guests. If you would like to discuss your stay further please feel free to contact me at the property so that we can make it right. Thank you for your business.