“Tale of two experiences”
Review of The Mark Dine & Tap - CLOSED

The Mark Dine & Tap
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Angela
Description: Phone is [574] 204-2767.
Reviewed 4 October 2017

We dined here twice in September. The first time was early in the month on a Saturday night. Four people. Arrived promptly for our 8pm reservation and seated right away. Service on par. Food very good. We all had seafood entrees - salmon and the seared tuna. No appetizers or desserts. Wine by the glass for all. I would give this visit a 4.5.

Then we dined again this past weekend. It was a home football game weekend. We were there Friday night. Had made reservations for 6:30, called to let them know we would be late. Not a problem. "Come and we'll get you seated". Arrived at 7pm. We were seated about 20 minutes later. There were just two of us, as the other two decided to go to the soccer game instead. They sat us at the "kitchen bar" - which was fine. We were glad to be seated as the restaurant was extremely busy. Ordered right away and all at once. Pretzel appetizer and the seared tuna and the salmon. App took awhile to come out. Then the salads came out. Then nothing. At 8pm I asked our server about our food. My son had to leave at 8:15. Mind you, we were sitting right in front of the kitchen and saw food come and go. The guests to our left arrived after us and received their entrees by now. Finally, at 8:12pm, our food was served. My son had to leave to go to an event, so unfortunately he didn't get a chance to eat. They offered to take it off the bill (uh, well, of course….). I did expect them to do a bit more, as it took 45 minutes for our food to come out, and my son left hungry. After mentioning this to our server (who was very kind, by the way - but just super busy, which I think added to the issue with our food) the manager on duty came over and said she would discount the check. I received the check and she did indeed discount it, but left my son's tuna entree on. I pointed this out and suggested they take the tuna off, and then calculate the discount. Without hesitation she agreed. It really was the right thing to do.

On Saturday night, we attempted to go as "walk ins" - it was 9pm and the place was busier than the night before. Instead, we ordered to go. Burger, Cuban Sandwich and the Mac & Cheese. It was good, but to-go food is never the same as eating in. And they forgot to include the salad, which came with the Mac & Cheese. Didn't realize this until I got back home. :(

The Mark really is one of the better restaurants in South Bend. Certainly the best restaurant within walking distance to campus. I will go again, but perhaps not on a busy weekend.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Started off on a low note, but food was very good. Main menu item I ordered was no longer available. Pretty limited menu. However, my second choice of grilled meatloaf was great; best I ever had. My wife said her rib eye steak was cooked perfectly. Friendly and prompt service.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Our family visited The Mark over a Football weekend. We went once as a couple and once as a group of five. The menu options were great! They have the best Veggie Burger I have had since I can remember and you can change it up however you want. The side options are great as well. The service is excellent and everyone seems happy to be there. The Bar is a very vibrant scene - loud - but it was football weekend. Drinks were good and the truffles for dessert were a great option as you can order just one so you don't feel so guilty and they are so yummy!!!

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Recently visited The Mark for lunch while in town for a football game. We sat at the bar to relax and keep an eye on the games in-progress. Service was excellent, wine and craft beer selections were plentiful, and the small plates worked out just right for a good lunch. When in the neighborhood, give this place a chance and you won't be disappointed.

Jonathan L, Owner at The Mark Dine & Tap, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Thanks for the nice review. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you're visiting South Bend!

Reviewed 20 August 2017

The most nice and elegant restaurant in Eddy St. It is good to find a good place to eat at Eddy St since it is the most near street to hang out near campus. We loved walking that street full of life and energy of students. Good to find a nice restaurant that is not fast food on the street. The hamburger and steak were exquisite and the french fries amazing. The service was great as well. Not for a student budget but wonderful for when parents or grandparents visit.