“Missed the Mark”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Angela
Description: Phone is [574] 204-2767.
Reviewed 7 October 2017

We were the only ones seated in the bar section - not sure why! - even though there was a lot of available seating in the main dining room. The service was friendly but nothing special; the food was good - possibly even very good - but it definitely did not warrant a $50 bill for a water, iced tea, salad, burger and hummus. We would have been fine going next door to Blaze Pizza and spending $20 to fill up on regular food.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Excellent food and service. My only real issue is it can get loud in there. Very nice menu, food is excellent.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

The Mark is a great restaurant with all those family favorites!! It is a wonderful place to dine if you are near the campus. Great food... great service.... and is one of our favorites to go to! They also have great gluten free food too!

Reviewed 4 October 2017

We dined here twice in September. The first time was early in the month on a Saturday night. Four people. Arrived promptly for our 8pm reservation and seated right away. Service on par. Food very good. We all had seafood entrees - salmon and the seared tuna. No appetizers or desserts. Wine by the glass for all. I would give this visit a 4.5.

Then we dined again this past weekend. It was a home football game weekend. We were there Friday night. Had made reservations for 6:30, called to let them know we would be late. Not a problem. "Come and we'll get you seated". Arrived at 7pm. We were seated about 20 minutes later. There were just two of us, as the other two decided to go to the soccer game instead. They sat us at the "kitchen bar" - which was fine. We were glad to be seated as the restaurant was extremely busy. Ordered right away and all at once. Pretzel appetizer and the seared tuna and the salmon. App took awhile to come out. Then the salads came out. Then nothing. At 8pm I asked our server about our food. My son had to leave at 8:15. Mind you, we were sitting right in front of the kitchen and saw food come and go. The guests to our left arrived after us and received their entrees by now. Finally, at 8:12pm, our food was served. My son had to leave to go to an event, so unfortunately he didn't get a chance to eat. They offered to take it off the bill (uh, well, of course….). I did expect them to do a bit more, as it took 45 minutes for our food to come out, and my son left hungry. After mentioning this to our server (who was very kind, by the way - but just super busy, which I think added to the issue with our food) the manager on duty came over and said she would discount the check. I received the check and she did indeed discount it, but left my son's tuna entree on. I pointed this out and suggested they take the tuna off, and then calculate the discount. Without hesitation she agreed. It really was the right thing to do.

On Saturday night, we attempted to go as "walk ins" - it was 9pm and the place was busier than the night before. Instead, we ordered to go. Burger, Cuban Sandwich and the Mac & Cheese. It was good, but to-go food is never the same as eating in. And they forgot to include the salad, which came with the Mac & Cheese. Didn't realize this until I got back home. :(

The Mark really is one of the better restaurants in South Bend. Certainly the best restaurant within walking distance to campus. I will go again, but perhaps not on a busy weekend.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Started off on a low note, but food was very good. Main menu item I ordered was no longer available. Pretty limited menu. However, my second choice of grilled meatloaf was great; best I ever had. My wife said her rib eye steak was cooked perfectly. Friendly and prompt service.