“I'd never heard of this restaurant until yesterday....”
Review of Ho Ping House

Ho Ping House
Ranked #21 of 307 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2017

This was my first visit and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. The wait staff were friendly, they have a good menu, the food was good and the establishment seemed clean. I didn't check out the bathrooms (usually a good sign as to the cleanliness). I'd definitely recommend it and I will be back.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

We chose this place as a last resort as they were one of the few restaurants open at 8:00pm on a Sunday night. The staff was friendly and service was good. Hot and sour soup was barely warm and had to be reheated - the other items were ok - egg rolls tasted like they came from a box. Sweet and sour Chicken was good.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

Ate at Ho Ping House during a short visit to South Bend. We were seated promptly and did not have to wait for anything. Had Won Ton soup and Crab Rangoon, both very good. My Beef with Mushrooms came with snow peas, carrots and water chestnuts in a brown sauce. Delicious. The only negative was that the dish was heavy on the mushrooms and a little light on the beef.

For a nice, cloth napkin establishment, the prices were reasonable and the portions were fine. The only item that seemed slightly overpriced was a glass of Plum WIne, but that too was very good and the portion was more generous than I expected.

Service was good throughout, and our server was very attentive. She seemed new, so was likely trying to do everything right. And it was. If we travel this way again, this restaurant will be on our radar.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

I had the coconut shrimp and my husband had lemon chicken. I always order coconut shrimp when going to ho ping and always loved it. This time it was flavorless. We asked if they had new management or a new recipe. The hostess said no. It is the same. We buy from supplier and open the can and use. The hot and sour soup was very thick with two much corn starch. Our server and bartender were rude at best and inattentive. Our server only had one other table. The lady next to us who had our server told the girl to take her order back as she wouldn't eat it. She got an empty glass for wine but didn't order wine. The seat i had was so worn out i felt like i was sitting on wood. Won't be back.

Reviewed 28 May 2017

We visited the Ho Ping House today on our way home from Michigan. We had been wanting to try this place for a while, and I'm glad that we finally got the chance. We ordered chicken lo mein, orange beef, and general tso chicken. The food was very good and was brought to our table shortly after ordering. The staff was friendly as well. We will probably return in the near future.