“Delicious affordable lunch”

McAlister's Deli
Ranked #40 of 308 Restaurants in South Bend
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

The place was super busy but the staff was super nice and service was quick. I had the "choose 2 half sizes" and had the tomato bisque and four grilled cheese sandwich with the original sweet ice tea. I'd definitely return.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

This is the sandwich they gave me. There wasn't enough beef on the sandwich to cover a cracker. The tortilla soup was good and my wife's club was good. She shared with me do I did not leave hungry. Do not order the beef with horseradish, this is what you will get. Sad, very sad.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

McAlister's is across the street from the Notre Dame main campus, perhaps a ten or fifteen minute walk from the Morris Hotel or the east side of campus. You can eat outside or inside.

When you go in, you line up before a counter and can discuss your choices with the staff, who are helpful and courteous. The selection is not really what I would call "delicatessen," but it is a pretty decent imitation in a city that has never struck me as cosmopolitan. The dishes are well prepared and the quantity of food is more than adequate: we took half our lunch home with us. In such a city as Chicago, or such a university town as Ann Arbor, I would rank McAlister's slightly above average, because there is more competition for the feinschmecker trade (people who are fussy about their food and then consume immense quantities). This was a pleasant experience and I recommend it in preference to any of the lunch places on the ND campus.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

Met a friend here for lunch on a recent trip. Located in an area of new shops next to Notre Dame. The parking garage is free for the first two hours. Had the Spud Ole, very generous serving. The menu has a variety of items. Order at the counter and they bring to the table. We sat and talked for over 2 hours and was never made to feel we had overstayed our welcome.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

Ate here for lunch. Crowded but was served without much of a wait. Food was great and not 599 expensive.