“Great Italian”

Ranked #18 of 358 Restaurants in South Bend
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Carmela's is one of South Bend's most beloved fine dining establishments. Known for its Italian-influenced cuisine, Carmela’s came to be when George Jr. Macri became intent on sharing his wife’s phenomenal cooking with the public. Named after George’s wife, Carmela, the restaurant’s menu is a true reflection of the dishes the Macri family makes for their own special occasions. All of the recipes and cooking comes from Carmela herself, ensuring that every customer gets a real taste of Italy in every bite. Designed to be relaxing yet romantic, Carmela's is a true reflection of dining in southern Italy with arched walls, a sky-painted ceiling, a fountain centerpiece, and Tuscany-inspired ambience.
Reviewed 11 April 2018

Carmela prepares fantastic dishes...from Mahi Mahi to chicken parmigiana to lasagna, all were perfect. The salad was great with a very nice, not overwhelming, dressing. Even the herbs and spices added to the olive oil for our tasty bread enhanced our experience. Service was first class and friendly. The ambiance quiet and very pleasent. While SLIGHTLY expensive, Carmela's is definitely a value!

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank NicholasW838

Reviewed 1 April 2018

My husband and I had a wonderful experience at Carmela's when we dined there. My husband and I were in South Bend for the night because of his visiting the Purdue faculty there. It was also our wedding anniversary and it will stand out in our memory. because of Carmela's The service was outstanding and the food was a work of love and art. Carmela's recipes are stand-outs. From the bread and olive oil to the salads, to the entrees of sea bass and shrimp scampi, to the almond cake, everything was perfect. I don't often say this, but the scampi is probably the best interpretation I have ever had the pleasure of eating. My husband complimented the layers of flavor in his sea bass dish. The sauces are subtle enhancements that do not over-power or obscure the goodness of the seafood. The almond cake was heavenly. What else can I say? Only that the owner came to our table and we were able to express our appreciation of the lovely service and excellent dishes we were served. We were told Carmela was busily icing Easter lamb cakes in the kitchen. We will return the next time we are in South Bend.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 2 February 2018

We had about 8 people for a company dinner last Tuesday and first off, it wasn't busy at all which was nice. Makes me wonder if people don't know about this great place. Service was great. Food was very good and could tell it was made from fresh ingredients. Lasagna was a good portion and they had a good variety of dessert. You get bread to start which is a must have for me.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 22 January 2018

Carmela is a fabulous cook. There are so many things there I just love. Rotolo, steak, lasagna and just plain spaghetti. Her marinara sauce is remarkably fresh tasting even in the winter. The restaurant is conveniently located within walking distance from downtown South Bend and a 5 minute drive to Notre Dame.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 21 December 2017

This is a great, family owned restaurant. Nice menu selection, plenty of options for every one. Arancini appetizer is fabulous! Pasta is fresh and homemade - so good! I love their house salad dressing. Very close to downtown - also on Open Table so easy to make a reservation, however during the week, not usually necessary. Adjacent to Maci's Bakery which is also fabulous - however the bakery is not open in the evenings.

Date of visit: December 2017

Been to Carmela's? Share your experiences!