“Best Sunday lunch out on a perfect Sydney Autumn day”
Review of Pilu At Freshwater

Pilu At Freshwater
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Freshwater
Price range: US$18 - US$36
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 19 May 2016

Akuna Bay has that magical hook doesn't it?... It's name conjures up beautiful imagery and let me tell you, on a sunny Sydney Autumn day, it is a gorgeous location to absorb its dramatic sandstone cliffs plunging into Cowan Creek. Attractions like this bring on my salivation in anticipation of a special lunch.
Our table on a covered veranda overlooks millions of bucks worth of boatery. Today is a surprise for my femme as i am not working this Sunday and this place is a Sunday-only eatery making it a perfect venue. The set Four-course menu is easy to choose from as it resembles a shared feast in an Italian home fit for weddings, with multiple platters of antipasto which fields flavours of deep fried prawns smothered in garlicky aioli, chargrilled radicchio, mini zucchini frittatas and a heavily laden board of salami, olives, ricotta ...... all swooped up with shreads of yummy Sardinian flatbread.
We choose a dry white from the heavy Italian vino on the shelves, with the help of our genial server Tammy. The choice rewards immediately being a Telave vermentino. Today's main is a pasta that is sublime with hunks of ragu'd slow-cooked pork shoulder companioned with thyme, tomato and lemon. The beef tagliata rubbed with herbs and chargrilled is a wow. The femme plumps for pan-fried barra with crispy caramelised corners that comes with minty zucchini alla scapece.
Sharing a sweet is our way of controlling the calories... ha-ha, says the femme tucking into the not too sweet orange and almond cake. We stroll for an hour circling the creek and hold hands while eschewing the gorgeous meal and local flora and fauna.

1  Thank Eli B

Reviewed 16 May 2016

We took some friends to celebrate a 60 th birthday on Saturday 14 May. The service and venue were excellent but the food was very disappointing. My husband ordered the pork terrine as a starter which came as a very strange sandwich type thing which was best to eat in his fingers - not what you want to do in an upmarket restaurant. We ordered the lamb belly for a main which was minuscule and tasteless. Our friends ordered the pork belly which was substantial and we had to eat some of that as well to help Get some food in our stomachs. The roast potatoes that came with the pork belly were reheated and cold inside. I ordered the crab pasta as an entree. The pasta was floury and tasteless and looked like something I would feed to my dog. The taste was underwhelming. The desserts were the only thing that had any interesting flavours. My husband who had been so looking forward to eating at Pilus again, had always told people it was his favourite restaurant. From now on we will not be recommending it to anyone and certainly not returning. Our local Italian restaurants in Manly do a much better job and certainly don't cost you $95 a head. Shameful.

1  Thank maricolin
Reviewed 13 May 2016 via mobile

Lovely location. Would be better when there's light to see it.

Absolutely felt very well taken care of from our waitress and very friendly.

Had the 7 course, very consistently lovely food with varied textures. Dessert (sedeas? ) is to die for.
There is parking on site.

There was a wedding outside amd downstairs but it wasn't so noisy you could hear it when dining.

Main down side is if you are seated right next to the window the table has a very noticeable slant.

piludining, Owner at Pilu At Freshwater, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2016

Thanks so much for the very positive review - we are particularly proud of our service offering. Hope to welcome you back another time.

Reviewed 12 May 2016

I have been to Pilu numerous times for lunch and dinner in the past several years, and my experience has always been fantastic. I can unwind straight away as soon as I sit and watch the view from the window. The food is exceptional every time and the matching wines were heavenly. This place is filled with numerous fond memories with my friends and family.

Thank you for the great review, your comments have been forwarded to our kitchen and front of house teams. We hope you continue to create many more fond memories with us.

Reviewed 10 May 2016 via mobile

After spending the morning doing the Manly to Spit bridge walk we were feeling peckish. It was a perfect day to enjoy the stunning view of Freshwater beach from Pilu which serves Sardinian and Italian dishes. We have been before and their Zuppa di pesce ( fish soup) is hard to beat. It's not on the menu today so I choose a pecorino consume with fregola for starters while my partner chose home made pasta with blue swimmer crab. Both good ,the pecorino consume probably the dish of the day. We both followed up with fish dishes trout fillet and barramundi. Again both good but the barramundi was on the small side having said that we had enough food from our two courses. Pilu is known for its excellent wine list which features Sardinian wines. We tried a 2014 Vernaccia which was an excellent full bodied white.