“Duck sliders and local beers”
Review of Thunder Bay Grille

Thunder Bay Grille
Ranked #7 of 308 Restaurants in Davenport
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Thunder Bay's spacious interior seamlessly melds contemporary elements in warm lodge setting; combing the natural beauty of light and dark woods, sparkling glass and soft-colored stones. Thunder Bay's innovative menu, warm hospitality and engaging atmosphere give it a fresh twist to casual dining. Thunder Bay's menu lends itself to choices from rich classic steaks and spectacular seafood to spicy Cajun entrees. Our chefs have created signature entrees like Drunken Steak, Cedar Plank Salmon or Sesame Thai Mahi Mahi. Spice things up with a touch of Cajun, Seafood Jambalaya or our Bouillabaisse. Finish with a decadent dessert of an after dinner cocktail. Try one of our many selections of craft beers. We pride ourselves on our commitment to our guest's experiences with service and want each guest to feel relaxed and cared for while dining with us. We Thunder Bay with comfortable soft seating areas meant for gathering, relaxing and socializing with friends. Memories are made from time spent sharing food and drink, laughter and good times. Thunder Bay invites you to come in and enjoy relaxing casual dining at its best. Invite Thunder Bay to your next event; whether you are planning a rehearsal dinner, wedding reception, private patio party at your home or a corporate event at your office; planning has never been easier. Contact us we can create customized menus to suit your event.
Reviewed 24 September 2017

I had driven by the Thunder Bay Grille a few time and when business brought us near it, we decided to stop. The lodge decor seems a little out of place for Iowa; more like what I would find back home in Michigan, but it's well done. The menu reflects the lodge theme, with some interesting choices. We shared the duck meatball sliders and they were my favorite part of the meal. My other favorite part was the extensive local beer menu. I tried Mississippi Blond Ale from the Bent River Brewing Company in Rock Island and it was light and flavorful. For entrees my partner had the bison meatloaf and I had the drunken sirloin tips. I was able to sustitute a vegetable for the mashed potates, I asked for the sirloin tips to be medium rare but the waitress didn't think that could be done. She said they were usually cooked well done, but they would try. I think they ended up medium, but they were ok. The meatloaf came with some kind of barbeque sauce over it, which my partner scraped off because it was rather sweet and didn't allow the taste of the bison to come through. His roasted rosemary potatoes were very good as were the homemade potato chips that came with the sliders. Salads were good and so were the hot biscuits that came with our meals. Worth going again, especially for beer and small plates.

Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

The Grille feature some of the best upper Midwest foods you'll ever find. The food itself is delicious, and the presentation is worthy of the Food Network. It is a little pricey, so I can't eat there often, but I do love it when I can.

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

We had very good service. My husband's dinner was much better than mine. He had the baked lemon rosemary chicken with roasted potatoes... it was fantastic. I had the New York Strip with roasted mushrooms and mashed potatoes. The steak was fine, nothing special, but the mushrooms had large pieces of garlic making the pungency too much on the palate; mashed potatoes were a fail - they definitely need to rework that recipe. I'd still recommend this place for their chicken alone.

Management response:Responded 5 September 2017

Hi Angie,

I’m sorry to hear about your disappointing experience at our Davenport Thunder Bay Grille location. If something like this were to ever happen again, please be sure to ask to speak to a manager. We are always happy to make it right!

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

We dropped in for lunch at 12:30 on a Saturday. It was quiet so we were seated right away. Service was low key but attentive.

"Dude" had bison meatloaf sandwich, which was very good. Fries were meh.

Dudette had jambalaya which was generous and tasty and very spicy. Not for faint of heart. Five tissues and two Arnold Palmers and worth every bite.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

Stopped here for happy hour / early dinner and was delighted. The building is more like a big ski lodge than a restaurant - expansive, high ceilings, log structures, huge fireplace, etc. Nice bar area, but an especially nice lounge adjacent. Happy hour features half-price drinks and appetizers. The shaved steak flatbread was excellent. Our server, Becky, was truly enthusiastic and very likeable; she greatly enhanced the experience. Very, very good find.