US$121
US$188
US$172
US$120
QualityInn
Des Lux Hotel(Des Moines)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$199
Hotels.com
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$159
US$250
US$184
HIExpress.com
All reviewsthe concierge loungelobby bar isvalet parkingroom was cleanhigh floornice hotelcomplimentary shuttlestreet parkingbusiness tripfront desk staffper dayshuttle servicecourt avenuecivic centerenjoyed my staystaff was friendlyskywalk
Reviewed 23 May 2018

Although all of my interactions with hotel personnel were pleasant, the customer service did not make up for the room comfort, noise or construction during our stay. The room was worn and dirty with thin, undersized towels. The beds were worn with memory groves and so uncomfortable that I ended up on the floor to finally fall asleep at 4:30 AM. The in-room décor was nothing special. The construction noise (?drilling?) was non-stop from the time of our early check in until evening. We were not warned of the construction until we arrived. I made our reservations over the telephone as part of a wedding block of rooms. The hallways were loud-all night long, with people coming and going until about 4 AM. All conversations that took place in the hall resonated easily into our room and it did not sound like the people were talking unreasonably loud. There was one person who knocked on a door continually, for an extended period of time, at around 3 AM. The hotel did eventually send security to take of it. The swimming pool was wonderful for about 5 minutes and then a sports team of unruly elementary-age kids invaded. They were loud and rude, splashing, yelling and doing one cannonball after another. Our family swim time ended shortly after they arrived at the pool. The food and drinks in the restaurant were tasty and the service was very good.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Tracy T
cmroutson, Executive Assistant at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Tracy, thank you for sharing your experience with fellow travelers. As previously communicated we certainly apologize for your less than perfect stay and regret that we were unable to provide one of our newly renovated guest rooms for you/your family. Our hotel is undergoing the most extensive modernization in its 37 hear history and we regret the frustrations of detours and noise created by this effort. In addition, Tracy, we appreciate your acknowledgement of our staff's 'Spirit to Serve' and regret that while we do our best to curtail the actions of other guests, we are sometimes unsuccessful. Our security team patrols the entire hotel/guest room floors and responds when notified of guest disturbances with the intent of eliminating these disturbances for other guests. It is our hope that you will return to experience the transformation of our hotel and allow us to welcome your return.

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Downtown is conveniently located downtown with a parking/checkin area mor roomy than your typical downtown hotel. Offsite self parking was a fair $ 10/night. Marriott bellmen/women were friendly and helpful, offering the shuttle for nearby dining.

Checkin was on 2nd floor during construction. Trainee checked me in but the trainer was very friendly and helpful

Concierge lounge is on mezzanine level and card access required to get on that floor. Lounge just opened days ago and it has a weird layout but nice with sufficient bottled water and soft drinks. Breakfast was scrambled eggs biscuits and gravy, bacon, fruit and pastries with two televisions close by blaring two different channels

Room was clean, dated, functional, small shower, cracked sink, but i emphasize functional and due for a remodel. Construction noise existed pre 6pm but after 6pm, the room was quiet

Air conditioning was sufficient, but did not freeze the room

I would like to visit this hotel late next year once the remodel is completed, and take in some things downtown has to offer.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Vacationer9898
cmroutson, Executive Assistant at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Vacationer9898, we thank you for your feedback. Our extensive modernization has been in the planning stages for well over a year and we are excited to be able to bring the transformation of our front entrance, lobby and concierge lounge and guest rooms to you our valued guest. The majority of our rooms will have the tubs removed and replaced with walk-in showers, upgraded lighting throughout and modern features throughout the room. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Des Moines Marriott Downtown, the heart of the city!

Reviewed 2 May 2018

They are currently going through a pretty major remodel which has been overdue.

My room had been renovated, and it is very nice. We had business meetings in another room which hadn't been renovated, and you can clearly see why the remodel is necessary.

The location is great, easy access to anything downtown. We walked all over, using the skywalk system when raining, and outside when the weather was good.

I will definitely stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: The higher floors have great views. South facing rooms are probably a slightly better view than to the North.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank James G
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

I travel all over the US, and stay at many hotels. I have worked in customer service almost my entire life and know the ins and outs of the industry. This is one of the WORST hotels I have ever stayed at on record! Not only is the hotel old and run down, but going through a VERY noisy renovation.

I went out with colleagues of mine for a dinner and a couple of drinks. When I returned back to the hotel, my card wouldn’t work. So I went down to the desk to have them redo my key. The agent at the desk said there was some sort of complication with my room payment, and they needed an updated form of payment or else they wouldn’t allow me back into my room(where all my belongings are being held). I am in town for business, and often times put the hotel on a company card, which I did this time. But they wanted me to contact my boss, at 2am in the morning. When I proceeded to contact him, there was no response. So there was literally nothing I could do. So, the hotel then proceeded to tell me, that even though it’s 2am in the morning, and I am a stranger in a town where I literally know no one, and I am still supposed to stay with them for a few more days that I can’t go up to my room. So not only do these happens, and often times we can’t do anything about them at 2am in the morning when banks are not open, we are basically screwed and left out on the street.

Lastly, the hotel was not willing to work with me on this situation in the least. When I spoke to the manager the next morning, after sleeping on the street all night. His response was this: I was aware of the situation last night, and completely agree with all of the decisions our night auditor made. Our hotel protocol is to not allow you back into your room unless the payment is fixed. Oh, did I forget to mention that I am a GOLD member through Marriott, and stay with Marriott all the time?!?

This hotel is truly and utterly disappointing.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Mitchell A
cmroutson, Executive Admin at Des Moines Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

MitchellA, thank you for your communication. We will be glad to provide you with the items which remain in our possession as soon as the $1,087 owed is paid in full. You have until 5:00pm today to do so, if this amount has not been paid by then we will be contacting the local authorities.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Drove 3 hours to Eagles concert only to find out it had been rescheduled for the next Monday, even though we had paper tickets with date and time. Mike Kelly and Jeff Jorgenson at the bell desk made phone calls to box office, found concierge passes for us, and then drove us all over downtown. This is why I stay at Marriott. Thanks so much for making this fun after all.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple