“First Time Visit”

Estela's Fresh Mex
Ranked #45 of 286 Restaurants in Iowa City
Price range: US$3 - US$30
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

While visiting Iowa City recently, my father became quite interested in Estela's and insisted we visit before we left. We went for breakfast on our last day. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I ordered a breakfast burrito, but they offer their entire menu all day. I added some bacon to my burrito, but I found that is wasn’t cooked as long as I would have liked. The tortillas are fresh and the salsa is pretty good too. My father went for the spicy breakfast burrito which had chorizo in it. He said he really enjoyed his. The portions are quite large like most burrito places. Anyways, we will probably be back during our next visit to Iowa City.

Reviewed 11 May 2018

This place is based on the Chipotle model. You order at the counter and tell them what toppings you want in your burrito, and they make it right in front of you. The food tasted very fresh. The burrito is pretty big, enough for most guys. You order a drink and go select what you want from the fountain yourself.

You sit on stools at pub tables. The place has a lot of light through the windows and high ceilings too. My wife did not like the fact that they did not have any bottles of picante or hot sauce.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

We had steak tacos..so good. The meat is sliced and cooked as you order it, the soft corn tortilla was great and seared right on the spot. The pico de gallo and guacamole are handmade, not processed stuff from a large food service. All the staff were so helpful, cheerful...it made me glad that they were glad to be there. A wonderful, relaxing place to have a flavor filled meal. For very reasonable prices.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Stopped on during a stay in downtown Iowa City. The offerings aren't overly fancy but we found the tacos al pastor in both soft and hard corn tortillas to be tasty. The cilantro and lime was a pleasant addition to one set of tacos. It is conveniently located and had seating that was adequate for a quick meal.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Upon entering, there was a haze of smoke from what I assumed to be overcooking something on the grill, although I can't understand why they ventilation didn't get rid of it. I also don't understand how the haze was still there 20 minutes later when we left, so our clothes needed to air out a little bit.

Yes, the burritos are fresh but their system of preparation was awkward and slow, and we were the only ones there so it should have been a lot quicker.

I did like the option of having shredded chicken and cilantro to put on my burrito, but if you already grilled the tortilla why did you grill it again after putting the ingredients in it? All you did was burn it.

The chips and salsa were good...... not too salty on the chips and not too spicy on the salsa.

Our table had sporadic food remnants of previous patrons so it hadn't been cleaned in a while.

I'll stick to Pancheros and Chipotle for quick Fresh Mex. I'm glad to have tried it, but there was nothing there that would have me go back.