“Created our own Hawaiiowan pizza”

Wig and Pen Pizza Pub
Ranked #6 of 277 Restaurants in Iowa City
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery
Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

We were taken out to dinner by a friend and had such a great dinner experience. The chicken tortilla soup was delicious. We invented a Hawaiian/Iowan pizza with pineapple instead of bacon. Was absolutely fantastic. What a gem in Iowa City. Can’t wait to come back for more pizza:)

Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

Service is not always. I guess my recommendation would be to get it to go. That way you can enjoy the food but still have something to drink.

Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

Always love this place. Tried the Chicago style pizza for the first time. It was a great pizza, but our true favorite will always be the thin crust. We had Canadian bacon sausage and sauerkraut. It was loaded with mozzarella cheese and very filling. Pictures are actually a small. Great atmosphere and our server was very attentive. They do have a full bar and plenty of beer choices. Never had them but I know they have bloody Mary's on football game days. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 7 May 2018

My wife isn't a fan of deep dish pizza, but I enjoy a good one from time to time, especially when the crust is rich and crispy. Wig and Pen makes a great one, with the characteristic of being filled, truly filled, with gobs of delicious cheese. Their tomato sauce is uncommonly tasty as well. There are enough combinations of thick/thin/super-cheesy, regular, etc., to keep any pizza lover happy. I've only done take out so can't comment on ambiance of the restaurant, but folks seem friendly. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

During our year in Iowa City, we visited Wig and Pen three times because their food was just that good (please note we go out to eat about once a week and Iowa City has a lot of options so for us to return three times was a big deal even though it doesn't seem like a lot!) The first time I went I ordered the flying pizza sans tomatoes because tomatoes aren't my thing but that had the crust style I was looking for! The pizza was so good! The other two times I had their Mac and Cheese because it is seriously the best restaurant Mac and Cheese I've ever had! The decor is eclectic and meant to look like a British Pub. Not sure if it lives up to that as I've never spent any time in Britain but I loved it all the same. They also have outdoor seating, but we always sat indoors when we visited. If you get a chance, check out the photos they have in the first room that show what it looked like with the '08 flooding! The food may seem pricey, but trust me...it's completely worth it and odds are high that you will take leftovers home!