“Good place to eat for dinner.”
Review of Okoboji Grill - CLOSED

Okoboji Grill
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Description: Okoboji Grill strives to provide service of the highest quality while treating our guests to abundant portions of flavorful, homemade food in a neighborhood restaurant setting that fosters fun and excitement.
Reviewed 8 August 2016

We had dinner here while staying nearby. It was more than I wanted to pay but it was very good and everything got eaten up.

Reviewed 6 August 2016

It's been about 6 months since we last ate at this Okoboji Grill location and I am not impressed with the changes in the food selection & quality. My husband was looking forward to shrimp and they were no longer on the menu. From what I can tell, the menu from what I can tell has been drastically condensed. They even removed chips & queso which I loved, but it still listed queso on another dish - why wouldn't you just have it on the menu? We eventually settled on having hamburgers. I requested regular french fries and he onion rings. What was presented at the table looked something like you could get at a truck stop diner. The hamburgers were to be medium rare - both were well done. The lettuce on the burger was shredded iceberg - previously a single leaf of romaine or another kind of leaf lettuce. His burger was to be "smothered" in sauteed onions and bbq sauce - eventually found both tucked under the melted cheese. My crinkle cut fries while plentiful & hot, were small and greasy. The onions in his rings were undercooked and they breading was still pale - no hint of browning. We asked for the rings to be redone. which the waitress was happy to oblige, but what she brought back were exactly the same. She told the 'chef' to cook the rings longer, but if that's the case, either they need to turn the temp up on the oil, change it completely OR find a different type of ring to cook. We got there about 645 on a Friday night and the place wasn't busy, but that may have had something to do with the movies starting at 7 or maybe other people have already had the same experience with the food quality we did. If I'm paying over $10 for a burger meal, the presentation should be of higher quality along with the preparation. The waitress was sweet and initially very attentive, but then it took her over 10 min to come back & inquire about how the food was tasting. It would've been nice to try and have the ring issue resolved earlier. I'm not sure if we'll come back to Okoboji again unless some changes are made again. Too bad since this is a place we really used to enjoy & recommend.

Reviewed 5 August 2016

Had lunch with my mom and mother-in-law who are on the lookout for local restaurants to have lunch at. Restaurant was not crowded at lunch time. Got seated immediately. Service was very good. Menu has good variety. The moms had fish and chips and said it was very good. I had an Asian chicken wrap. Seemed more like a regular chicken wrap. Would not order it again.

Reviewed 11 July 2016

We live the Johnston area near this Okoboji Grill. They used to have great service & food, plus terrific "happy hour" specials. Now it seems the new ownership is all about the bottomline. The wait and bar staff has had a lot of turnover, and from the past couple visits, we think the cooks must be newbie's as well. They've also implemented a $2.00 -$2.50 plate sharing charge and the "happy hour" offerings aren't as good either. Dave the bartender, is about the only remaining positive at this place now. It's too bad, Legends will probably run them out of business now.

1  Thank CornDude
Reviewed 28 June 2016

This is right across the street from Legends Grill... GO TO LEGENDS... Okoboji Grill was run down, had terrible service and the food was barely ok.