“Cold Food ”

New City Buffet
Ranked #32 of 84 Restaurants in Mason City
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

Stopped here after going to a doctor appointment. First time going here. When we arrived around 11ish it was pretty busy. Got sit down and couldn't understand the waitress but she was very nice. The food was less than average wasn't sure what half the stuff was since not everything wasn't labeled and I picked the safe food. When I sat down to eat the food was cold. My dad isn't a picky eater at all and said the food was terrible. They were very friendly and checked on us often. Will not come back to eat cold food.

Reviewed 2 November 2016

Finding a good Asian buffet in Iowa is hard. Finding one in a small town is Very hard, but here it is! The prices are incredibly reasonable- $11 or so, per person. The food is hot, fresh, tasty, and varied. My test for a good place is the hot and sour soup. It was spicy but flavorful, not too salty, and fresh. I was thrilled! Good pot stickers, crispy Gen Tsao's chicken, beef and broccoli fresh and al dente, not mushy like some places. We didn't try the sushi, but it looked fresh. The hot tea was flavorful and fragrant, w/o being flowery. I drank every drop.
The only things that were not a plus was: the egg drop soup being a bit oily, and using sriracha sauce instead of hot pepper flakes for spice.

I've been to some bad buffets that had over-cooked food, everything tasted the same, it was too dry, the heat/cold source wasn't working, the ice cream is refrozen. This buffet had none of those problems.
We were REALLY HAPPY with the meal, our service, the prices, and the variety. Plenty of space inside and outside parking, and it was clean.

Reviewed 5 July 2016

it was okay as far as chinese goes. nothing too memorable about it. no crab legs at all. a pretty good choice of food. would probably go elsewhere next time

Reviewed 29 March 2016 via mobile

Good sushi and variety..My eyes are bigger than my stomach @ New City! They have coupon in local ad every month, which is nice!

Reviewed 18 March 2016

We had a birthday party with six adults and two children. We were seated promptly and had a very good service person. The buffet was very good with a wide variety of choices and plenty of things for the children to eat. It was a very enjoyable time.