Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$125
FindHotelUS$125
CheapTicketsUS$125
TravelocityUS$125
Orbitz.comUS$125
TripadvisorUS$125
All reviews banana bread an amazing host interesting history pre civil war fresh fruit ken dubuque furnishings
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 May 2021

My two night stay at The Black Horse Inn was everything I hoped for and more. Ken met me at the kitchen (which smelled heavenly because the the banana bread baking for breakfast the next day!) door and warmly welcomed me to the Inn with a short history of the building and tour of things I needed to know about. He helped me carry my bags up the stairs to my third floor room, a cozy spot to be sure. I had the time tomexpomore kinds of books and crannies at the Inn over the days I stayed and found it all utterly charming. My bed was comfortable with super soft linens and just the right amount of blankets/quilts. Four pillows kept me propped up in style. My bathroom had ample space with enough hot water to take my usual shower. Everything was clean and up to date with all the amenities promised and then some, including a dish of M & Ms with a tiny scoop and bottles of water! I had an early kennel tour the next morning (6:30 AM) so Ken graciously met me at 5:45 AM with that banana bread I had smelled baking and some fresh fruit before I took off for the day. I returned mid afternoon to do some reading in the Beergarden under the shade of some gorgeous trees as Ken decorated for Memorial Day and got the seasons plants in their pots. Then outside of the Inn was just as charming as the inside. The attention to every detail shows everywhere you look. This morning I was served a scrumptious breakfast (which I had custom ordered the morning before) which could have fed two! As Inkedt my room to go home, Ken met me on the stairs and carried my bag down to the main floor and out the front door, bidding me farewell on the front step with words encouraging me to come back again, which I most certainly plan to do! *

A word of warning for those who cannot do stairs, there is an elevator to the rooms on the second floor, but third floor residents need to climb a fairly steep set of stairs to get to their rooms.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2021 via mobile

The town is quaint. The inn is charming and historical. Our room, the Buena Vista Suite, is lovely. The common areas are warm and inviting. The host is gracious. Breakfast is delicious. It was a perfect spot to stay while we explored eastern Iowa.

Date of stay: May 2021
Reviewed 28 October 2020

Black Horse Inn is exactly what I'd hoped for when I decided to take a weekend to relax and recharge - clean, cozy and quiet. The inn has a very interesting history and is truly impressive inside and out. Ken is an amazing host (be sure to enjoy his gourmet breakfasts!) with lots of great suggestions for area activities. Enjoy!

Date of stay: October 2020
Reviewed 8 September 2020 via mobile

Beautifully Restored pre-civil war venue. Our host Ken was the best - - nice, friendly and helpful. If you are visiting Dyersville, Dubuque or Galena, don't miss this historic spot. The rooms are very comfortable and nicely appointed. An excellent breakfast is included.

Date of stay: September 2020
Reviewed 25 August 2020 via mobile

We’d spent the day hiking in Iowa’s Driftless Area & were looking for an interesting place to stay to the south. So glad we ran across this restored 1850s inn -tucked away among rolling cornfields, with lots of historical significance yet fully modern with plenty of AC, WiFi, great shower & quality linens. The inn was impeccably clean. Easy 20-minute drive to L. May Eatery in Dubuque for a delicious outdoor dining experience. We enjoyed sitting out on the inn’s upper deck until sunset with a bottle of wine purchased for a small fee. Innkeeper Ken served a wonderful breakfast & took very good care of us, carefully following Covid precautions. We hope to return soon to this lovingly restored gem.

Date of stay: August 2020