All reviews room overlooking the park centennial park three rooms free breakfast is ice machine busy weekend room was spacious dryer campus pet
Reviewed 15 May 2018

This review is for a family member that stayed. Location is difficult to get to, but the price was decent and Quality Inn has been good choices as of late - well not this time. Upon check in, renovations were being made and the hope was we would be in a room, that was completed - not in the midst of. Even then, the quality of the rooms were poor. The first thing that we noticed was a smell which continually became stronger. After taking a shower, we noticed that the smell was coming from the bathtub drain - moldy, rotten, water that was not draining and in fact, spewing up from the drain. Because the complaint was not made at the time, 11 p.m.; sorry, too late. No manager to talk to, in fact, the front desk staff ran away at 4 a.m. in the morning as he did not want to answer any questions or take the complaint. Therefore, we contacted Quality Inn corporate about the incident. They did say they would look into it. Very unprofessional staff and unwilling to take responsibility for poor workmanship in the renovations.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

I should have known when this was the only hotel available to find a room out of Lawrence. The hotel is difficult to get into. Due to where it sits on the street you have to do a u turn to get there. No where on the website did it say we’re doing renovations to the facility. When we arrived there were boxes, construction workers and cords all along the hallway. It really was a safety hazard. The hallway walls were recently painted and they were installing new carpet. When we got into our room which we assume has been renovated it wasn’t much better. I almost walked out. The furniture in my room had holes in it and the Tv didn’t work. A worker knocked on our door as we were leaving an event they wanted to seal the 2 carpets. He & the hotel manager gave me attitude when that I didn’t want to leave my door open while they were fixing the carpet. I asked if it could be done the next day. The manager said no because it was Saturday. I only had coffee which was ok then next morning. The breakfast looked marginal. When they are done renovating it will be better but it will still not be worth the stay. Sorry to say but this hotel is below quality. I would have expected this if I had paid $39 but not what I needed up paying & I am a member of their frequent visitors club.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

I travel seasonally with my dogs so am fine with somewhat run down hotels in the $50-$60 range with direct parking lot access. This is one of those. Pros: Pet-friendly, price, beds were comfortable, decent breakfast, room was quiet, halls didn’t smell like food like so many of these places do. Nice, well-lit park next door and Chinese & BBQ restaurants across the parking lot. Cons: Back door was exit only, carpet had a big stain, room heat was a little noisy and hard to get just right, and a visiting trucker had an extension cord running out a side exit door all night to his truck, so the building was not secure. Ask for a room overlooking the park if you don’t like parking lot headlights illuminating your window.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve D
Reviewed 4 October 2017

Stayed here on a Fri night before a home football game (I was not there for the game). As expected the hotels jack prices on game weekends to gouge the customers when they can. This was no exception. If you pay $60/nt that is about right for this place. I'm guessing the business model is to keep going without updates until they just can't do it anymore and they will shut it down. The building is in rough shape. The rooms are depressing. On the positive side, the free breakfast was on par with chains that usually go for $110/nt. and the front desk ladies were nice.
The place is tired and needs attention everywhere. However, I'm guessing they just run it until nobody will choose to stay there. I will not return.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Lawrence hotels book up for KU game days and other campus events and this was the only option available for a recent weekend. Knowing that this was a older property, we had low expectations before check in and in some ways, got pretty much what we were expecting for our 2 night stay.

Pros:
Staff is very friendly and helpful. We had positive interactions with every person we encountered.

Location on Iowa is convenient to everything, but so is just about every hotel in town.

Our night's rest was reasonably comfortable. Bed was comfy, TV worked fine, air conditioning was loud but worked.

Breakfast was adequate and well attended by staff.

Adequate parking.

Cons:
It's really old and cries out for a remodel.

There is a dinginess to this hotel, not sure if it is strictly due to age or housekeeping. Carpets were very stained. Dings in stairwell. Not an atmosphere we enjoyed.

2nd floor rooms with no elevator. Was not an issue for us but it might be for guests with mobility issues.

Summary: We were glad to get a room in town when no others were available and I know the rate we paid was less than what other hotels were charging for a busy game day weekend. Quality won't replace our preferred options for future stays but it was ok this time and kept us from having to drive back and forth from KC or Topeka.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family