“Should be in "Restaurant Impossible"”
Review of Sushi Gin - CLOSED

Sushi Gin
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 1 May 2013

First, let me say I know sushi. I have been to the best sushi restaurants in New York, Miami, and St Louis. Someone recommended this place. My daughter went there recently and she said it was horrendously slow and bad sushi. Thought they might be having an off night. Brought my kids here. First, it's FILTHY. Old food in the cushions, dirty fixtures. Took 15 min to take our order. They got the shrimp order wrong, brought something else. Shrimp tempura was two pieces of shrimp on vegetable tempura! Never heard of this. No one making sushi in the bar. I'm convinced they go to a cheap grocery store and buy this stuff. California rolls flavorless. Mango sauce on dragon roll was out of a jar. After ONE HOUR of waiting, I got up, asked for the check, and took what we ordered "to go". The weird grey haired guy who runs the place has no idea how to run a restaurant. RUN, don't walk from this place. I have a groupon that I would rather pitch.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

I don't have a problem with the food at Sushi Gin. For the most part, it's actually quite fabulous. The problem I have concerns their marketing. They get involved in almost every coupon campaign out there, then when you come to actually redeem one they make a point to proclaim a litany of rules, exceptions and exclusions as if you are trying to cheat them out of money. If you don't tell them up front they will make a fuss when you submit it with the bill. As soon as you walk in the door there are signs posted about "You can't use a Groupon for this" and "Restaurant.com voucher is not valid for this"...it's sort of comical actually. Over the years I have been to Sushi Gin a handful of times and this song and dance routine has never changed. On the most recent occasion I walked in proudly, holding up a coupon, made sure every server could see it, showed the owner who is the ringleader of coupon tyranny, placed it prominently on the table for everyone to see, and asked permission before ordering each menu item so as to not void my coupon usage opportunity. Typically we rack up a big enough bill with apps/drinks/whatever where a coupon barely covers tip, but still, it's the principle of it. One more negative of Sushi Gin is the atmosphere/decor. Very cheap. Nonetheless, what they lack in charm they make up for with good sushi.

2  Thank Gruntlumber
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The restaurant had been around for a while and we had gone there occasionally. The place looks a little old. The price is very good for lunch and with the same food it is more expensive for dinner. Their bento box is a good deal with a variety of choices, from chicken, salmon, beef teriyaki, to tempura, to sushi and such.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

We have been looking for a good place to have our sushi fix, and we have found it. Traditional and more innovative rolls were all very tasty, the setting was pleasant, and the service courteous. We will be back.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

We recently went to Sushi Gin for the first time after purchasing a deal online through Restaurant.com. Upon arriving at the restaurant, the staff asked if we had a coupon to use for dinner. We assumed the restaurant may be new or they had just been running a lot of online specials. The sushi was amazing! We got 3 specialty rolls as well as the appetizer sesame chicken. My only complaint is that our appetizer came after our sushi. I think the sesame chicken would've been better served over rice because it had a lot of sauce on it. Overall though, great sushi, nice decor and good atmosphere. We would eat there again.