“A patron for years, but no more.”
Review of Sushi Gin - CLOSED

Sushi Gin
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 25 October 2014

I have been a customer of Sushi Gin for almost 15 years. I have enjoyed their sushi and sashimi, and am on a first name basis with the longer term staff as well as the owners.

The sushi is above average, not great, but I know by now what is done well and what is not.

I have seen much of the owners quirkiness that is commented on here... They add bigger tips to your credit card if they are not satisfied with the tip and assume you won't notice. I do notice, but have tended to let it go.

They also create really weird specials and coupons with rules pretty much impossible to follow. These are their own coupons, not groupon and such. Even as a 15 year customer, I have trouble following their rules.

Two breaking points occurred recently and today I said goodbye to the staff I knew. I don't appreciate being literally yelled at by the owner Seiko-San for not doing it right. This time, a coupon for $5 off would have made the meal MORE expensive, as she brought out the full price menu vs the every day discount menu. I agreed the fine print allowed for this, but I had used this twice monthly coupon before without the restrictions that basically rendered it not only useless, but a more expensive meal.

This has happened before with a different coupon entirely. I was admonished both times.

More important for you the reader... The prices have been going up... Quite a bit. What for years has been a good deal, is not so much anymore. It's one reason I started using their coupons.

Also, for those of you with a groupon coupon or such? Ask yourself why you have to present your coupon in ADVANCE (or you will get yelled at). Yep - a differently priced menu.

So, basically, you might enjoy a meal here, but you risk the owners wrath if you don't follow their rules ... And after all these years, I've now had enough.

2  Thank Dan D

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I had a great meal tonight - it was at a fast food restaurant on the way how from Sushi Gin. Several previous visits had been okay (not great) but this one went completely off the rails. When we pointed out that there was no carbonation in our drinks, the waiter asked if we wanted a different soft drink. Um, no thank you. Do your soda taps each have their own carbonation tank? If not, I'm guessing all of the soft drinks are going to be bad.

After we got that sorted out, things went even more downhill. It took 45 minutes for our sushi to arrive and we asked if it would arrive any time soon, the waiter just said yes. Um, thanks for that explanation and apology. When it Cobalt arrived, I had mistakenly ordered one wrong (my fault) and they made one completely, different than the menu description. There are good sushi restaurants in Kansas City. This is not one of them.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

First, let me say I know sushi. I have been to the best sushi restaurants in New York, Miami, and St Louis. Someone recommended this place. My daughter went there recently and she said it was horrendously slow and bad sushi. Thought they might be having an off night. Brought my kids here. First, it's FILTHY. Old food in the cushions, dirty fixtures. Took 15 min to take our order. They got the shrimp order wrong, brought something else. Shrimp tempura was two pieces of shrimp on vegetable tempura! Never heard of this. No one making sushi in the bar. I'm convinced they go to a cheap grocery store and buy this stuff. California rolls flavorless. Mango sauce on dragon roll was out of a jar. After ONE HOUR of waiting, I got up, asked for the check, and took what we ordered "to go". The weird grey haired guy who runs the place has no idea how to run a restaurant. RUN, don't walk from this place. I have a groupon that I would rather pitch.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

I don't have a problem with the food at Sushi Gin. For the most part, it's actually quite fabulous. The problem I have concerns their marketing. They get involved in almost every coupon campaign out there, then when you come to actually redeem one they make a point to proclaim a litany of rules, exceptions and exclusions as if you are trying to cheat them out of money. If you don't tell them up front they will make a fuss when you submit it with the bill. As soon as you walk in the door there are signs posted about "You can't use a Groupon for this" and "Restaurant.com voucher is not valid for this"...it's sort of comical actually. Over the years I have been to Sushi Gin a handful of times and this song and dance routine has never changed. On the most recent occasion I walked in proudly, holding up a coupon, made sure every server could see it, showed the owner who is the ringleader of coupon tyranny, placed it prominently on the table for everyone to see, and asked permission before ordering each menu item so as to not void my coupon usage opportunity. Typically we rack up a big enough bill with apps/drinks/whatever where a coupon barely covers tip, but still, it's the principle of it. One more negative of Sushi Gin is the atmosphere/decor. Very cheap. Nonetheless, what they lack in charm they make up for with good sushi.

2  Thank Gruntlumber
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The restaurant had been around for a while and we had gone there occasionally. The place looks a little old. The price is very good for lunch and with the same food it is more expensive for dinner. Their bento box is a good deal with a variety of choices, from chicken, salmon, beef teriyaki, to tempura, to sushi and such.