All reviews continental breakfast basement bar small town sample room step back in time wonderful historic hotel made from scratch meatloaf restored historic modern amenities rooms are small hard boiled eggs prime rib paper moon cookie cutter sitting room hidden jewel
Reviewed 14 July 2018

Check your room out before unpacking. Found the previous guest’s clothing under a chair - very dusty. Rated this hotel a 3 because of it’s history. Has a great bar downstairs and a huge Czech egg across the street. Worth staying here just to take pictures!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2018

It wasn't the fanciest place we've ever stayed at, but it was the most historic and if you’re like me and enjoy that type of stuff, you’ll love this place. The hotel is on the historic registery and has all the original wood, lights, loover doors on the rooms used back in the day for ventilation, breezeway windows above room doors, and stained glass windows. It was built in 1899 and was advertised as a first class hotel for travelers and rooms went for $2 a night. The Sample Room, where we ate the night before, was used as a place for travelling business men to sample their wares. The food was great and the complimentary breakfast hit the spot. Rooms are small, but that’s what things were like back then. The staff was great.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2018

Fabulous Historic Hotel. Clean Clean Clean, Extremely Friendly Staff. Would stay here again in an instant. Beautiful Staircase and Air conditioning and Bathrooms in every room. If your are ever in this part of Kansas Worth your stay

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2018

I'd prefer to send you a private message but apparently I can't. So here goes.
We walk into our roughly 8 X 8 cell, er, room, and with my computer and overnight bag and purse on my shoulder, my gut was met with the wooden footboard of the bed, while trying to turn. "Ok" I thought, note to throw the stuff on the bed before attempting to turn. Next I was met with a list of what they would charge if a washcloth was missing, and etc. all the way down to the $200 bedspread. I found that funny and irritating all at the same time. Well wanting to know what a $200 bedspread looked like, I REALLY look at it and I'd say it wasn't that one! Then I went in to the bathroom. I took the rug off of the toilet seat, and put it in the windowsill for later, turn back and there is a clump of wadded up toilet paper on the toilet lid. I thought, "well that's weird, I'm surprised it fly off." Not thinking, I picked it up, and THEN realize it's soaking wet! I put it in the garbage, wiped the slid off and wash my hands, as I ponder, "What in the WORLD was that????" I proceed to use the toilet only to spot a tiny curly hair on the TP dispenser. Again I wipe it off, and wash my hands. Thinking, "Okay, now that is gross," (apparently my threshold for gross determined that hair trumps soggy toilet paper) but I said nothing. I proceeded to try to work on my laptop. Remember the 8X8 sized room? I open the cupboard to turn on the TV, set up my computer below, I forget something I need in my bag, stand up and bash my head on the open TV doors, because they don't fold all the way back or tuck in. I give up, I move my "desk" to the $200 worn bedspread and start to work balancing laptop on the bed. I finish working and decide I'll go down for some supper. I go down to the area that LOOKS like a restaurant and sit down. (Apparently this is the NICE dining room like mom had, it's only for company and YOU are not it!) I sit there for 15 minutes while the staff gives me sideways glances, but says nothing. They're on their phones and chatting. Even the person who I assume is the cook comes out and chats with them for a bit. Finally a brave soul approaches and asks, "Did you need something" I ask "Is this a restaurant?" I'm told that no it's in the basement. So then I take the elevator down to the basement and it opens into a tiny dining room. I stand there for about 5 minutes wondering if I'm supposed to wait to be seated. The bar tender looks my way, says nothing, doesn't smile so I sit. I sit, and I wait. Half an hour later I get a glass of water, then the waiter takes my order. I sit, and I wait some more. Fortunately there is not a clock down there. I left my room at 6:15, and returned at 8:35. There were 10 people in the bar/restaurant. I ordered a steak with coleslaw and a creme brulee. The coleslaw was so salty I couldn't eat it, I'm guessing they grabbed the salt rather than the sugar? It was awful. Finally, not realizing it had been over 2 hours, at the same time thinking seriously of walking to the grocery store a block away, but thinking, that would be rude, so I continue waiting on my steak and coleslaw. Before the food gets to me, the waiter apologizes and threw in the dessert free. So basically I spent over 2 hours sitting there, after sitting in the car all day, for a steak, that was surprisingly good. I'm not sure it was worth the 2 hour wait or the $25 bucks, but I paid for it, but hey. I mention to the waiter that something was wrong with the coleslaw. At this point I'm tired. I traveled, did my work, sat there for 2 hours for a steak, it's time to rest. Oh no it's not! Now we have a"band" playing apparently outside my window. There will be no sleep. Now I'm cranky. I think I don't ask for much really. Just a nice bed, some food and sleep. Apparently not at this hotel on a Friday night. We checked out at 9:20 and was told, "The band will be done in half an hour..." guess what, I was checked into another hotel in Salina and slept like a baby, a very tired, cranky, worn out baby that just wanted something to eat and a quiet place to sleep. So if you are in the area, and have more patience than I, enjoy a double bed in a tiny room, and if you don't need to work while you travel and if you order food 2 hours before you are hungry, and don't mind soggy TP on your toilet complete with a complimentary hair, this place is for you! The upside, it's a lovely building, I'd even say the room was clean, except the bathroom incidents, but wow, the only thing going for them is that there wasn't another hotel nearby...It's a shame really. I'd seriously recommend stopping in Salina...and maybe drive by this place as a tourist attraction...

Room tip: check it out before you buy
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank MsReviewering
Reviewed 9 July 2018

We had a great time at the Midland Railroad Hotel in Wilson, Kansas! It is a unique hotel with many different rooms within. It’s probably best to call and discuss your room preferences with the friendly staff. There is a nice covered outdoor seating area in the hotel courtyard where a person can sit and order a beverage, appetizers or entire meal from the fantastic wait staff. Also, there is lobby space with games and interesting photos and memorabilia. They serve a good complimentary breakfast each morning that is tasty and filling. The restaurant (The Sample Room) in the basement of the hotel is excellent and the employees are very nice. The hotel is walking distance to the entire town and just a short drive to Wilson Lake and the quirky town of Lucas. Be sure to see the “Garden of Eden”, Grassroots Art Center, Bowl Plaza and Miller’s Park while in Lucas. Drive around the lake for a spectacular view. Walk across the town square in Wilson to see the World’s Largest Czech Egg and Ivy’s newly opened beautiful art store. Don’t miss the old jail in Wilson. Have a malt, shake, sandwich or Bierock at Grandma’s Soda Shop and Diner. Just have fun and enjoy the beautifully restored Midland Railroad Hotel! We loved our stay! Thanks everyone for making our weekend great!

Room tip: Talk to staff about your room preferences
Date of stay: June 2018