“Bourbon University: An Experience Not to be Missed!”
Review of Chapeze House - CLOSED

Chapeze House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 May 2016

Colonel Michael Edward Masters and his lovely bride, Margaret Sue, know how to make guests feel welcome. When I called to make the reservation for our Bourbon University experience, Margaret Sue was most accommodating. The Colonel educated my husband and me not only about bourbon but also about Kentucky history and his own story. When sampling a full range of good bourbons in splashes, we enjoyed crackers and a dip to die for. Midway through the two-hour class, Margaret Sue served a delicious lunch. Our final beverage was a classic Mint Julep dressed with just-picked mint. Delish! We also left with the Colonel's book, "Hospitality-Kentucky Style." It is a great read of what you really need to love about Kentucky and fun recipes. If you really want to enjoy bourbon to the hilt, Bourbon University is a must.

Reviewed 17 April 2016 via mobile

This was our first time staying here.
The Colonel & Margaret were gracious hosts & showed us great southern hospitality. We felt like part of the family. Great rooms with very spacious private living spaces. Historic home in the heart of Bardstown. Within walking distance of restaurants & bars. We will definitely be staying here on our next visit!

Reviewed 5 March 2016 via mobile

The colonel, his wife, and Rosemary are the perfect examples of Southern Hospitality. After taking the Bourbon University class last November we decided we wanted to have our wedding here. We also loved Rosemary so much we wanted to take her mixology class. Learned so much and the class comes with an amazing lunch. Had the best time ever and next we are going to plan on taking the next level up class. Top shelf bourbon tastings yum!!

This place has it all, great bourbon with knowledgeable people who are the nicest folks around. You are seriously missing out if you don't stop in

ChapezeHouse, Owner at Chapeze House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2016

Marcella & John, it was an honor to perform your wedding ceremony and have you stay with us this weekend. You two are a very special couple and we consider you from here on out, not guests but part of the Chapeze House Family. Best of Luck always, Colonel & Margaret Sue.

Reviewed 1 March 2016 via mobile

My husband and I just got married today at The Chapeze House and it was the most beautiful day. Margaret Sue worked to make sure everything was perfect! From the flower arrangements to the cake to the suite I stayed in the night before the ceremony, everything was stunning. It truly made a perfect day for us so memorable. I highly recommend this wedding venue!

Reviewed 27 December 2015

We came for "bourbon classes" as a Christmas gift. I was dubious (I mean, what could you possibly learn about bourbon in a multiple hour class?). I'd have to say, the doubt melted away once I met Colonel Masters and his fantastic bartender, Rosemary. I learned quite a bit and had a great time doing it! Colonel Masters is a Kentucky Colonel and a fantastic storyteller and host!

The setting is intimate, a handful of folks sitting at the bar in the old sleeping porch of a historic house in Bardstown, with the Colonel sitting in an overstuffed chair, handing out bourbon wisdom and Kentucky history lessons. The bourbons we sampled were not cheap; many were top shelf treasures that were an absolute treat to learn about.

We enjoyed a FANTASTIC homemade lunch in the middle of the session, enjoying Kentucky ham sandwiches on homemade buns and tomato soup. I have some food issues and the Colonel, his wife, and Rosemary went out of their way to make sure my lunch was just as delicious and enjoyable as everyone else's. The lunch wasn't an after-thought; it was an integral part of the whole experience. The Colonel gave us a quick tour of the Chapeze Suite (a very nice suite they rent out) and it was back to bourbon!

We also got a good schooling on mint juleps, which are made with mint grown there in the backyard (and because of the unusually warm December we are having, they had some fresh mint available!). I really didn't like mint juleps until I met Rosemary's recipe! It was unbelievably good and refreshing!

I highly recommend this class for a small group of friends or family to experience together. It was possible the best Christmas gift I've ever gotten.