All reviews hot tub steam room afternoon tea amuse bouche croquet lawn brasserie menu master room coach house on arrival glass of champagne full body massage cream tea relaxing break double shower scones country house lounge area
Reviewed 2 March 2018

We stayed for 3 nights when the rest of the country was knee deep in snow. Apart from being very cold and a few flakes, we had good days with blue skies and sunshine for most of the time. It would have been easy though if we had been snowed in! We were in a coach house room over the impressive spa ( thermal pool, outdoor hot tub, sauna etc + treatments and its own bar/cafe) though "room" hardly does it justice - it was enormous with dressing room, bathroom with bath and shower and large bedroom with very comfy bed, sofas and table and chairs. Lots of nice little touches like homemade biscuits, fruit. bottled water (no plastic though!)

The main house dated from 16th century and was very tastefully decorated in 'classic' style with lovely , light lounge area, separate bar and welcoming reception complete with log fire.
Breakfasts were very good with choice of continental items, fresh fruits and a range of cooked dishes including excellent poached haddock and veggie options.
Evening meals were a treat with pre - dinner nibbles, tasters and a choice of well cooked and interesting dishes from high quality ingredients, all served in the cozy panelled dining room, with views across the grounds to the hills beyond. An extensive wine and drinks list including several by the glass though perhaps a shade on the pricey side.

Staff were all professional, friendly and helpful and efficiently dealt with a minor power-cut problem.

If you like modern, boutique -style hotels you are probably not looking at greenways and would be disappointed anyway. If you want a beautiful, classic country hotel, well run and with great food and facilities and service with a smile, then this might just be it.

Very handy for walking the Cotswold way, pretty villages, Cheltenham and Gloucester or just chilling out. We will certainly return.

Stayed: February 2018
DGMCheltenham, Manager at The Greenway Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Dear sussex_wanderers051, Thank you so much for your review on your recent time with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the personal touches which we offer in the rooms and around the house. I do very much hope we can welcome you back in the near future, perhaps next time with the sunshine is here.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

Four of us visited for a Sunday lunch on a travel zoo offer. We were first in to lunch and the service was good. We all ordered roast beef as our main. The beef was that tough it was inedible, and almost impossible to cut. Staff offered to replace my meal, but no one else on the table even though it was clear that they all had the same problem. I had pork loin as an alternative which was ok, but since i5 was served as the rest had finished it was not enjoyable. The offer was clearly successful. We asked for coffee in the lounge. It was as crowded as an airport lounge with standing room only, with people moving chairs from other rooms to get a seat. Just like an airport lounge it emptied out when the next sitting left. Guests staying in the hotel were left to manage the overcrowding.
When we left the restaurant it was clear that many other tables were suffering from the same tough beef so it was clear that they were continuing to serve it despite knowing of the problem.
My memories of this hotel were good but this experience totally destroyed it. Off peak deals are ok if properly managed, but filling am hotel of this standard like a fast food chain is clearly a mistake. I hope it is a mistake they learn from. I will not be returning.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Colin B

Dear Colin B, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. I have discussed this with the management team and we are looking into why and how this has happened. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell very short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

Cold in temperature and service. Apparently on a snowy day the "ventilation" wasn't working- so as we waited for our "relax" treatment, we sat in a room with all doors open to outside freezing to death. No offer of warm drink etc.
Treatment rooms were too cool. Treatments weren't special.
Lunch was extraordinarily "low calorie"- ie: very little food for far too much money.

Room Tip: Not applicable- probably choose somewhere else if you are looking for a special experience
Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank drjenny2018

Dear drjenny2018, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. It was unfortunate that on the day of your visit we did have some maintenance happening and I apologise that this caused you discomfort. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the wonderful spa experience that so many of our residents and day guests have grown so fond of.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

I had a Spa Day here with lunch included. I have nothing good to say - total waste of money.
I had a mud exfoliating body wrap - no exfoliating at all - the mud was just spread on. Head massage as in brochure was not done. No explanation of what was being done.
The pool area was so hot that I couldnt bear to sit in there and ended up sitting in a reception/corridor area. Staff agreed the area was too hot and was always like that!
Coffee was £4+ a cup
Lunch was very small and little choice within the Spa Day package.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank Shaun A
DGMCheltenham, Manager at The Greenway Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Dear Shaun A, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent Spa time with us. I shall certainly investigate this matter personally regarding your treatment and also the temperature. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the Spa experience that so many of our guests enjoy.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

I booked a table for my mum and I for Sunday dinner. We were both looking forward to it, but it was a complete let down and unfortunately we will not be returning or recommending.
I am left feeling ashamed and embarrassed that this was the restaurant I took my mum to celebrate her birthday as I wanted it to be a treat.

The hotel is located in a great location and the building is lovely with some quite nice views. However:

Our table was booked for 13:00. We were guided to a lounge area and there we waited for our table. We were not seated until 14:00 - an hour's wait. There was no advice this was the likely waiting time or any apology/acknowledgement of this.

Start to end of dining (14:00 table seated) we did not get to complete dining until 16:00 due to the prolonged wait times between each course. Considering there was only the 2x of us, 13:00-16:00 is excessive in my opinion/dining experiences.
I had pre-purchased a voucher comprising an amuse bouche, starter, main, dessert, tea/coffee and petit fours (4x chocolates). Had this not been the case, then we would have either abandoned ship before completion given the time, or certainly would not have paid the full amount as a consequence of the slowness, quality of the food and service:

> My mum order a tonic water as we were seated. My drink was brought, but having finished our starter it was apparent my mum's order had been forgotten so we ended up having to re-request the drink

> Diners are offered complimentary bread which we accepted. However, our table had no butter which I ended up needing to take from a neighbouring laid table that was vacant

> My mum ordered the roast beef. Upon ordering the waiter advised it would be served pink and checked this would be ok, which was fine. However, the quality of the meat served was dire - gristly, sinewy and extremely tough despite its pinkness.
The meat plated was more like a sirloin steak in terms of thickness. A steak knife was provided, but even that would not cut through the meat. Our neighbouring table also experienced the same issue. Both we and the other neighbouring table, provided this feedback to the waitress where we received an abrupt apology where the feedback did not seem to be appreciated.

Beware!! Not value for money and now I can't help but to suspect the vouchers are only on offer to increase trade as a likely result of non-returners to provide on going trade and overall good word of mouth.

Such a shame as this restaurant could and should be so much more in keeping with its ambience.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maeiya

Dear Maeiya, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short on all aspects of your dining experience which I assure you will be looked into. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. Regards Colleen