“Not my kind of place”

Shanghai Bistro
Ranked #391 of 975 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 4 June 2015

On a night after moving, we decided to order take out because everyone was tired. Picked up the food and brought it home to find the chicken broccoli - selected as a healthier option - swimming in oil. It was so nasty. We promised ourselves never again.

Reviewed 30 September 2014

Sang Hai opens early and makes every dish freshly with tremendous talent. This is my idea of what take-out chinese should be, but we always eat right there, with the best imagineable service. Truly a Mom-and-Pop restaurant, they open early and do their best to suit your taste. I sure do hope this couple makes it, because I doubt we could find a better chef anywhere in Lexington. Maybe not quite 5-stars on atmosphere, but take home your order for a seven-star dinner!

Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Conveniently located across from a slew of hotels, the food is typical of what you would expect at an American Chinese restaurant. My daughter loved her won ton soup. The servings were large, the prices were average. The taste and quality were good.
The man at the counter was very friendly and helpful in guiding our selections. He overheard my comment about having CSI on the tv while people are trying to eat, particularly with young children, and changed the station to basketball.
While it is counter service, the meals are delivered to your table and are on real plates and bowls, not disposable. If we lived in the area, we would definitely go back for carry out.

Reviewed 4 December 2011

I'm really not sure why this place was rated so well. Yes, the food is good, and the portions are more than ample. But we placed 6 orders at the counter and two meals came out 35 minutes later, 2 came 45 minutes after ordering, and 2 nearly an hour after ordering. Some folks who ordered after us got food first, but not many.

The lighting is also very bright. This place has no atmosphere. My recommendation is that if you arrive and there are more than 10 or 12 there, go elsewhere.

1  Thank CheapWorldTraveller
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We get take out from this restaurant at least once a week for our family and the food and service is always consistently great! Never had to wait more than 15 minutes for an order and usually less.

1  Thank halfran1