“Birthday Dinner at The River House 3.5 Stars”

River House Restaurant & Raw Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
River House Restaurant & Raw Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 1,885 Restaurants in Louisville
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Description: River House is Louisville's premier riverfront dining destination. Developed by Chef John Varanese, the opening of this new restaurant fulfills his long awaited vision 15 years in the making. Open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner, the menu features regional cuisine with Southern flair and an emphasis on seafood with a raw bar.
Reviewed 14 November 2017

Sunday evening we had reservations at The River House. We arrived and were promptly seated in a cozy booth. The restaurant was clean and I would imagine have an amazing outdoor atmosphere during the warmer month's with outside seating. We dined in November so it was too chilly to enjoy the patio. The drinks were made well. My husband tried the Bourbon Flight. The waiter that brought it to our table spilled all 3 glasses (not a big deal to us). They promptly brought him a new flight free of charge.

Food: We ordered the stone crab for our appetizer. It was delicious but be aware that you are paying $30 for two TINY claws. Not worth the price. My husband had a sampling of raw oysters and mashed potatoes for his meal. He enjoyed both and said the oysters were cold and very fresh. I ordered the Makers 46 Planked salmon. It was just okay. I took a recommendation for a creamy sauce on top from our server and wished I had not. The salmon already had enough flavors going on and it made it too rich. For dessert, our server recommend the sea salt caramel ice cream. It was waaay too sweet for me. I would return to this restaurant, I would just choose another entree and dessert. I believe this place has excellent potential, especially with the view in the warmer months.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Two river front adjacent restaurants, both with outdoor seating and gorgeous views, offering everything from tasty drinks and appetizers to delicious dinners.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

ordered shrimp, served on rice with sucatash and ham, $14.00
the rice , sauce and sucatash were very good. .
There as no ham
only 3 medium sized shrimp.
For $14,00, you would expect a little more.
Bloody mary was $8.25.
3 for lunch was $107.00 with tip.
very good service, very poor value. Go next door to Kingfgish

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

So my husband and I went to dinner here on a Sunday night for our 24th anniversary. Everyone had been saying what a great place to go to dinner.

The View is wonderful! Parking is a bit problematic as they had an event going on one side of the restaurant, so we valet parked.

Our appetizers we a Dz Beavertail (RI) oysters and 2 oz of Lump crab meat. Crap was great, oysters were a little dry and super tiny.

When my dinner arrived (Diver Scallops over Cheesy Grits) I thought wow-this looks great! Grits were not even like warm, 3 medium scallops were also room temp. Not a lot of flavors for something this beautiful. Presentation was a 10, taste was a 2.

My husband ordered the Grouper Cheeks with Shrimp over Polenta. It was not hit either, little to any flavor.

All said and done, maybe we caught them on a bad night, but for $140 for 2 (only 2 cocktails)- there are a lot better restaurants to eat at in Louisville.

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

We reserved online... easy to do. Ubered there... easy to do. Had a great evening with semi sweet corn bread and a sweet butter, scallops, tuna, and whatever whiskey you wanted. Their rye selection was limited but the bourbon was pretty good. Stamped our 6th in the urban trail... and well worth it all. A great evening on the river... if you reserve online ask for an outdoor seat when you arrive!