“Amazing scallop & shrimp pasta dish!”
Review of Gary's on Spring

Gary's on Spring
Reserve with OpenTable
Gary's on Spring is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #228 of 1,817 Restaurants in Louisville
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Locust Street
Transit: Tarc Bus at the corner of Payne Street and Spring Street.
Description: Need an upscale atmosphere to bring a date on a night out? Seeking animated conversation over a wide selection of creative cocktails and wine? Gary's on Spring caters to all your needs and more, all under one roof! With a prime location in Louisville, Kentucky, our extensive contemporary American menu includes shrimp and grits, grilled lamb chops, Bourbon Street scallops and potato encrusted grouper on top of a dijon chive cream sauce. Our baby hot brown appetizer is considered the best in town! Needless to say, our bar is always stocked! If you love creative, high quality food, an ambient environment and friendly service, come check out Gary's on Spring today. We look forward to seeing you!
Reviewed 1 November 2017

We were there celebrating a friends birthday consisting of a party of 6. Most of us ordered the special which was scallop & shrimp st croix. We all thought it was fantastic!!!!! Just as great is the very personalized service from our server and the bar tender. Combine that with the wonderful atmosphere and you have a combination that just can't loose. This is my second time eating at Gary's on Spring and that too was a great time. We'll be back. Almost forgot to mention they have a number of really good bourbons and a respectable wine list.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

I went to Gary’s for the first time with a group of 15 to celebrate a birthday. I was met at the door by Doreen who was very pleasant. We spent a few minutes chatting while waiting for other arrivals. Some early arrivals had drinks in the bar upstairs which was presented but not pushed. We were set up on the ground floor which was great since other diners opted to be upstairs so we didn’t need to worry about our noise level. Everything was ready for us when we arrived.

We had 2 pleasant servers who explained the specials thoroughly and took drink orders efficiently. After drinks were delivered, they quickly took meal orders. The servers continued to keep water glasses refilled and inquired if folks wanted fresh drinks throughout dinner - aware but not annoying.

Our group had a bit of everything - grouper, filet, scallops, shrimp & grits, hot brown toasts, meatballs - and there were no empty plates at the end of the meal. We all commented on how delicious the food was. As another reviewer mentioned, the food is prepared creatively but not weirdly. A few of us had a dessert - bread pudding and creme brulee - both good but I agree with another reviewer that the brulee was not a light custard. It was a good pudding and had a nice crunch on top that I enjoyed. I would have liked more than the single thin slice of strawberry that garnished it.

The location is easy to reach, the atmosphere downstairs was low-key but not stuffy. At the end of the meal, the checks were presented, collected, and returned efficiently - without the confusion that sometime occurs with a big party. My one peeve with checks - bring back the detail check with the copy to be signed.

One of the things I really appreciate is not having white napkins which are not generally compatible with dark pants - it’s the little things!

Reviewed 27 August 2017

One of the most exceptional dining experiences EVER! Greeted at the door, seated immediately. Our waiter Nick was wonderful. We had relatives from OR, so there were 4 of us. We all ordered something different and exchanged nibbles from each other's plates. Everyone just raved about the food. It was beautifully presented. Rack of lamb, scallops, shrimp and grits, lobster bisque and the hot brown. It was my husband's birthday so we all shared his blueberry cheese cake. Excellent wine/bourbon list. Even the chef came to our table! He'll be on Bobby Flay's program in Nov.

Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I saw Gary's on the food channel and was Anxious to give it a try. We live 2 hours away and decided to go for our anniversary, but wished we had stayed at home.

We looked ahead of time at the menu online and my husband fell in love with the swordfish, and was excited that it was only $17 when we got to the restaurant it was actually $32. When we asked about the difference we were informed that the web site had not been updated. The waiter who was not friendly at all suggested the grouper to my husband, because they have sold more than 50,000 grouper dishes, tasted burnt he said.

Gary's was on the food channel and is suppose to be famous for this huge Kentucky Hot Brown which is not even on the menu. I asked about it and they only make it for special events. Now I did understand that it is a massive dish, but you would think if someone drove to your restaurant for just a certain dish that you would prepare it. Why promote it on TV and not let your guest give it try. So I settled on the baby hot brown which is a appetizer and it wasn't good either. All I could taste was the turkey.

The table beside us got fresh hot bread and we got none. Our waiter didn't even offer us some nor did he tell us about the other specials. The only positive thing is the time I spent with my husband and that they took the grouper off.

We will not go back!!!!!

Reviewed 5 June 2017

We celebrated our anniversary at Gary's on Spring in Louisville in early June 2017. For whatever reason, I think I've only dined here a few times, even though every time I do, it's just delicious and amazing.
We split a bottle of wine, which is half-priced on Thursday night, and you can't beat a $14 bottle of Italian wine in a restaurant. We split a salad, and then went all-out for the entries: I got the twin lobster tails special (divine) and Greg got a fish dish that he loved. I had Creme Brulee, which I had for the first time ever on our honeymoon, and Greg got the Strawberry Shortcake.
It was wonderful and we need to go back again, soon!