All reviewsedison roomthomas edisonbed and breakfastcomplimentary winefreshly baked cookiescentral parkgourmet breakfastother guestswhirlpool tubwedding weekendchurchill downssitting roomperfect staystayed two nightsvisited louisvillefirst morningbourbon trail
Reviewed 24 September 2009

My wife surprised me with a trip to Louisville for our 15th anniversary. Just fabulous. Herb took great care of us; has a lot of great stories and info on Old Louisville. The DuPont Suite is out of this world; huge tub with jets. Nice sitting area; large comfy bed. Breakfast was delicious. Across the street from Central Park and St. James Court - beautiful. What an amazing home.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2009

this place gave you the old classic movie feel.... WE LOVED IT!!! With breakfast in the morning and wine out at night......Amazing.....Please stop by if ever in Louisville. We felt like we were at home visting our grandparents.....the nicest people runing the place as well the bathrooms in each room was my favorite!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2009

We found this place on a whim, and had no idea what to expect. All we knew was that they were delightful over the phone. When we arrived our jaws dropped open as we took in the incredible beauty of The Dupont Mansion. I couldn't believe we were lucky enough to be staying in such an stunning place. The exterior has a dramatic stone front from an era of opulence and the interior does not disappoint. Everything is so elegant, from the classic player piano, to the carefully chosen period antiques, to the dining room murals. The rooms are equally exquisite. We stayed in the Thomas Edison room and enjoyed a comfortable rest and a luxurious newly renovated bathroom. There was plenty of space, but if you can afford it, don't deny yourself the pleasure of the Alfred I. Dupont Suite. What a gorgeous room and sumptuous bathroom. It's like staying in a palace - Go for it, splurge!

Extra touches include a second floor kitchenette where guests can prepare tea and store favorite foods. They keep it stocked with drinks and snacks and it serves as a upstairs lounge. The backyard garden is so lovely and well-maintained, perfect for a private celebration. We were hoping to stick to a healthy breakfast but the french toast with strawberries and the omelets were just irresistible. The formal dining room, china and crystal are so pretty you almost don't want to mess it up by eating. But this is not the kind of place where the hosts follow you around and make you feel as if you can't touch anything. The owners and the innkeeper, Helga, truly understand hospitality and they welcome you as if you are with family. They know how to entertain without hovering. It's easy to unwind in this lovely home.

We met a few fellow travelers who come to Louisville on business regularly and always stay at The Dupont Mansion. Truly whether you're a frequent business traveler or an one-time tourist passing through, you'd be crazy not to stay here. The rates are incredibly reasonable for what you get, certainly on par with the chain hotels. It's close to Churchill Downs as well as all the downtown sights. But the immediate neighborhood with its scenic strolls through beautiful gardens, tree lined streets and meticulously restored Victorians, is a destination in itself. In fact, this Old Louisville Historic District ranks among the top in the nation for having the most Victorian mansions within its limits. The owners operate another B&B across the street, and they were kind enough to give us a tour of this gem, which is also worth visiting. If we ever pass through Louisville again, we won't even consider another option. We'll stay here, and we might just make a special trip to enjoy The Dupont Mansion.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I stayed at the Dupont Mansion for 3 nights in early June because I was sitting for the ABR Oral Board exam. Initially I wanted to stay at the Crowne Plaza where the exam was happening but all the rooms were sold out for the nights I wanted. So, I looked at Bed and breakfasts and Dupont Mansion had some of the highest ratings.

I stayed in the JP Morgan room and it was very comfortable and quiet as I was studying in preparation for the exam. Sure, there's the occasional jet passing overhead, but I figured it would be worse by the Crowne Plaza and the only way to totally escape it would be to stay downtown. The room rate was equal to many of the rooms in nearby hotels.

My room was clean and every amenity was provided for me.

The breakfasts were expertly done and gourmet. They even accomodated having a breakfast for me before their usual servign time because I was sitting for the exam so early in the morning.

I had no complaints about this place and would certainly return. The home was very cozy and they took every step to make sure I was comfortable. They were kind enough to offer to help me find a masseuse that would help calm my nerves ahead of the exam.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2009

My husband and I stayed here in March. The weather was cold and rainy, but the entire staff was incredibly warm and friendly. Upon entering, we were greeted by the owner as the innkeeper was ill. We arrived at check-in and our room was ready. We stayed in the Edison room. This particular room is located near the stairs, so it was a little loud when people were coming and going from breakfast, but I just put the throws near the bottom of the entry door.
It was a lovely room with soothing yellow walls and very large bathroom. It was a queen bed, which is what we have at home, so that was fine. It was soft and there were lots of throws in the room for extra warmth. In the bathroom, the tub looks ordinary, but it was a jet-tub and I took full advantage of that feature.
The decorations are the best that I have seen so far. The room's furnishings were antiques or replicas. Downstairs in the dining area and former parlor, the furnishings were quality and not hodge-podge at all. The 2-3 crystal chandeliers were breath-taking and the murals were beautiful. I consider myself to be pretty critical and I looked in as many corners as I could and on the widow seals, but couldn't find any dust or faults-it was very clean!
Breakfast was a yogurt /granola/fruit parfait followed by a sausage and egg casserole with a side of creamy potatoes and a slice of cherry coffee cake. It was all very good. My husband said the quality of the coffee was great. I had hot tea and the servers paid very good attention to our cups and never let them go empty.
Breakfast was served at the DuPont's sister B&B across the street called the Inn at the Park. It, too, had crystal chandeliers and had BEAUTIFUL original wood work in the entrance.
Wireless internet was available for free and we had an excellent connection.
Overall, it is apparent that the owners and staff run a VERY high Quality and clean B&B. Now I am left wondering when I can get back!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple