“Great Cuban sandwich”

The Rum House
Ranked #48 of 1,092 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: After-hours
Description: The Rum House is the restaurant escape serving indulgent chef-created tacos and authentic tropical drinks in a friendly atmosphere that transports you to a Caribbean state of mind we call "Island Time"
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I have tried the famous tacos but keep coming back to the Cuban sandwich which is wonderful. Tried the jerk chicken and black bean quesadilla last visit - wonderful. Try the dark and stormy.

Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

We arrived July 4th weekend. The Rum House is a great place to visit while in Baton Rouge, LA. Not far from the LSU Campus, The Rum House offered great food (I had the briskett melt) with a selection for everyone's budget. Ypu can dine inside or out on the deck.

1  Thank Gregory P
Reviewed 4 July 2017

We were wandering around looking for a lunch place and happened on the Rum House. My salad was super and my husband's Cuban sandwich was fabulous-huge, but fabulous! I would definitely go again next time we are in Baton Rouge.

1  Thank Natalie S
Reviewed 21 June 2017

Recently had lunch there for the Taco Tuesday special. I left a little befuddled as to why I had decided to go there. Then I remembered the fresh and interesting combinations of flavors that were once a huge draw. Unfortunately that is not what I experienced this time. Out of six tacos shared with a friend not one of them really stood up to what the place used to be. For example the lamb vindaloo taco was served at almost room temperature and had absolutely no heat in flavor either. The steak chimichuri with guacamole was a bland mushy affair. The glazed shrimp taco resembled something on the lines of bad fare food; probably worse.

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

Visiting family in BR we went to rum house for lunch on Sunday afternoon, busy place very low key informal large room seating. There was some outdoors too but no one there...heat. Sat right away got drinks , placed order, one of us had vegan tacos very good, the other two of us had these really amazing salads, dressing out of this world, they were rum house salads, I just left goat cheese off mine, curry vinaigrette great! A lot of ingredients sweet potatoes-very few, beets- julienned odd, pecans, onions. Strange thing was we were served the bowls and it looked like a big bowl of spinach nothing else, the salads were made upside down, all the add ins were underneath in bottom of bowl, fine once we discovered this and tossed the salads...just odd thing, do they do this on purpose,not sure anyway. My son said it's the best thing he's ever eaten at the rum house. But unfortunately a few moments later he looked at us, took something out of his mouth and said " I got a rock with my salad" and it was a stone about an inch long, thank god he did not bite on it and break a tooth. We called waitress she sent over manager, who said nothing besides "we don't know how that could have happened , we buy our spinach cleaned and go thru it every time we use...etc" regardless my son would not eat anymore of his salad and he refused their offer of something else or another salad, he was just very turned off and wanted to leave. They comped us the salad and that was that. Waitress very very friendly and helpful, lots of family's with small kids so this is not the place for any kind of quiet or intimate dining but a fun family place. We really would have enjoyed ourselves completely had we not found the stone in our food, hence the 4 stars, otherwise the menu looked great for folks who are carni-or omnivores.