“Great location for the Cotswolds”
Review of Horse & Groom

Horse & Groom
Price range: US$17 - US$36
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2017

We stayed with our friends for just one night early July mid week. We had room 5 which was a good size with bathroom up a flight of stairs. Bed was very comfy. Our friends had room 6 which was in a separate building just across from car park.
Patio area with tables/chairs and a grassy area again with tables/benches.
Staff were friendly and breakfast good.
We had evening meal which we enjoyed. Would have been better if vegetables were served with the meal as I don't know many people who would eat a meal without them.
Overall for the late deal we had I would recommend staying there if visiting the Cotswolds and if you like walking as it's in a lovely spot.

2  Thank SueSouthStaffs

Reviewed 11 July 2017

This Cotswold pub sits in a small hamlet surrounded by lovely countryside. It has a large double aspect fire within the bar area which leads onto a more formal dining setting. It is tastefully furnished, with good food (we had breakfast and dinner) and excellent service. Whilst I appreciate that we had a late deal, I was still disappointed with our room (no. 1). I didn't really have a problem with the room being small, as we were only there for one night, it was the bed. Let's just say it looks nice, then you get in and sleep at an angle!

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Booked a table here for our anniversary, been here before for a drink and love the place. We arrived and had a lovely drink outside, the location and garden of this place are stunning, inside lovely polished slate floors, can't fault the look and feel off this place.

Service was friendly but VERY slow. Sat down at 7.30 and finished a meal for two of us at 10.15pm. Now we don't like to be rushed but this was a bit OTT for a restaurant that was not even half full.

Now to the food we had pate and some kind of mysterious scallops served in a kilner jar with smoke (very intriging) to start. Scallops were good if unusual. Pate tasted and looked like it had been bought at Makro and come out of a packet.

Main course we ordered truffle risotto (see my reference The Old Butchers who DO know how to cook a risotto) and roast duck breast.

The duck was literally blue inside. My other half likes steak and such medium rare but this was like duck tatare so we had to unfortunately send it back. They did not take my meal away with it, so already our anniversary meal was spoilt whilst we waited until it returned.

It came back, cooked medium and was fine but clearly by now the evening had already been spoiled. As we had literally returned the duck as soon as we cut into it, I then had time to try my risotto, which was dreadful. Instead of a beautiful unctuous creamy risotto it looked like a biryani - ie you could see all the individual flakes of rice, no creaminess, awful. I ate about 3 spoonfuls and left the rest as I couldn't face a second round of complaints no matter how efficiently dealt with. The waiter could see that I had left practically the whole dish and asked me if it was OK I said it was dreadful.

We shared a sticky toffee pudding which was lovely but we had to shout the waiter over to get service as by this time I think they had all but forgotten us.

Then to the bill. I don't drink red wine so my partner always orders by the glass as he wouldn't drink a full bottle. He selected from the wine menu a wine which said it was about £6.50 for a 175ml glass - and he had two glasses. There were only two sizes on the wine list, 125ml and 175ml. When we received the bill we had been charged £9.50 per glass for 2 x 250ml glasses not for the 175ml glasses.

Clearly we had not ordered this size because it wasn't even on the menu to order!,
When we brought it to the attention of the waiter and told him we had been overcharged by about £6, he said "well you got the big glass" implying that we were trying to pull some kind of fast one on him.

Well pardon us, we didn't actually take a measuring jug to see that we received 250 ml rather than 175ml, but anyway he reluctantly accepted that the menu made no mention of "large" glasses at 250ml at £9.50 per glass and gave us a refund on the overcharged meal.

All in all a pretty poor experience for what was a special 25 year anniversary meal. Total about £95 including tip (which was reluctantly given by the way). No compensation made for the poor food and spoiling of our special occasion, you live and learn.

Not sure we will be going there again for a meal, very disappointing.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

We stayed for one night, which was perfect (the room - 4 - was small but adequate for us and very comfortable beds). The welcome was immense, the staff were really lovely and hard working. Food was really nice, cooked breakfast was great. Loved it here.

1  Thank InceP
Reviewed 4 July 2017

We live locally and had been to this Gastro pub several times when it was privately owned, it is now owned by a small hotel/pub chain. In all our years of eating out we have never had to send back a meal because it was not properly cooked - this was specific to my wife's Risotto. Then to add insult to injury the replacement was also not cooked. Yes we received apologies and a reduction in our bill from the manager. The starters were good but no bread was offered, my main course was served without any carbohydrate (or none offered) and I was not asked how I would like the Duck cooked - it was on the rare side. The desserts were very sugary and sweet, the fruit crumble being described as seasonal - the fruit mix quite possibly coming from a commercially sourced jar or packet (we make them regularly at home from real fruit). The crumble topping looked like it was flour and butter rubbed together sprinkled on and thrown under a grill.

Also because it is now no longer run by the owner the level of service and commitment from the staff is just not there, it come across as just a job, something we have noticed in other establishments where this has happened.

The venue has great potential but if the company do not grasp it they will lose it, these places can make money but need to provide the quality and service to sustain them.

1  Thank Ian H