All reviewsliving roomnext morningbeds were comfortablegallery suiteantebellummsmarjoriefurnituredrawersguestslouisiana
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My Mom grew up in Jackson, LA so my two sisters and I decided to bring our Mom back to visit after 20 years of living in Texas. We were simply amazed by the Milbank House and the authentic antiques.

Marjorie was a true treasure. We stayed in the Gallery Suite and it was amazing. Marjorie shared the history of the house with us and since my Mom grew up in the area, she was able to share additional history with Marjorie. Milbank House was centrally located so we were able to travel to St. Francisville and New Roads easily and it was convenient to many of the plantations in the area. Marjorie also put together a folder for us that included local restaurants and directions.

We received a plate of homemade cookies when we arrived and a pitcher of the absolute best lemonade I have ever had. Breakfast was literally a feast. The first day we had fresh fruit, buscuits, grits, eggs cooked to perfection and bacon that melted in your mouth. The second day we had homemade pancakes, eggs, sausage and bacon. When they say you will receive a plantation breakfast it is true. The staff treated us all like family.

When I was scheduling our trip I initially reserved a hotel in Baton Rouge. I kept searching hoping I would find something more authentic to the old south. Milbank House exceeded our expectations. We absolutely loved the 2nd story porch at the back of the house. We had coffee there in the morning and would sit outside in the evening. Simply an amazing place.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gallery Suite and it had access to the 2nd story porch at the back of the house. There are great wicker rockers, chairs and tables for relaxing. The Gallery Suite is the only one with access to the porch. Loved it!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BrendaEd2014
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My mom and I stayed in the largest (2 bedroom) suite in the Milbank House in June 2014 and absolutely loved our stay there. We were warmly welcomed on arrival by the house manager, Marjorie, and shown to our rooms. She also provided a history of the home and local area. The other rooms were open as well, and we got to see the entire house. The owner, who grew up in St. Francisville and now lives elsewhere, has carefully furnished the entire home in appropriate antique period pieces, many of which were purchased in France. It's very elegant.

No one else lives in the mansion -- so in the evening, only guests are in the home, which is actually great fun (you can pretend it is your own!). Guests may use the kitchen and the common areas, all of which are clean and well decorated. The verandas off the rooms are lovely, quiet, and private as well and overlook the lovely yard.

We had originally wanted to stay in St. Francisville, but this ended up being a much better alternative. It's only a 10 minute drive away and is much nicer than any of the other homes we saw. The breakfast was lovely in the morning, with excellent service. It was the highlight of our trip down South -- and we stayed in several other historic places as well. You can't go wrong with the value and enjoyment of staying in this amazing home!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CherryBerrry
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Some friends & I stayed here on an antiquing excursion & were thoroughly impressed! We wanted to stay in St. Francisville but couldn't find anywhere that would allow 4 people to stay in one area, in the main house. I then found Jackson, LA., which is only 10-15 min. from St. Francisville, and read about the Milbank House. I am so glad I did! You DEF. get what you pay for & then some! The hospitality was wonderful & we were treated like royalty! We WILL be going back!

Room Tip: If you have more than 2 in your party request the upstairs suite!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Heather P
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Wonderful Nature of the Milbank House is only Exceeded by the Amazing Ways of Ms. Marjorie, the Milbank House Manager Extraordinaire !!! What an Wonderful Place; a True Antebellum Mansion, complete with curving stairway, high ceilings, tall columns, Lovely Yard outside and historic furnishings inside. The Elegance of the House is only exceeded by the Hospitality that Ms. Marjorie provides. I felt Immediately "at Home" and at ease, as Marjorie graciously offered me a tour of the House, and showed me to my room. She also directed me to the many Points of Interest, all around Town!! Stunning!!! Sitting on the Portico, outside, enjoying the Magnolias and the afternoon sun is Unsurpassed! Delicious Dinner is available, a short walking distance away. Breakfast, at the House is Yummy and FIlling and full of conversation with other Guests, who are seemingly, from Everywhere!! I regret only that my stay was soo short. I will be back, even if I need to ride my bicycle Across Our Country, to get there!!!

Room Tip: All of the Rooms are Marvelous, and Magical !!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Wyomingpianoman
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Like going back in time. We wanted to stay one night in the St. Francisville area and, after reading the other two reviews, decided to take a chance and stay at the Milbank. The photos are accurate - the house is filled with antiques. The breakfast is served on china, ironed linens in a gorgeous antique dining room. We only stayed one night but could have stayed much longer. It is a drive to St. Francisville, but if you have a car it is not a problem. We toured the little town and Rosedown Plantation. Marjorie gave us much needed tips on where to eat that night and was very gracious. We were traveling with my 11 year old son and he was blown away by his room, which sleeps two children (small twin beds) while we slept in the queen bed in the next room. We had half of the top floor to ourselves for $150. Also note that the Ft. Hudson battleground site is nearby. We stopped on our way to New Orleans and were glad we did.

Room Tip: If you have more than two in your party, go for the upstairs suite.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family