“Homophobes!”

Mel's Diner
Ranked #71 of 596 Restaurants in Lafayette
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Having an otherwise adequate meal at Mel's on afternoon when it became apparent that the staff is ridiculously HOMOPHOBIC !!
They waiters were cruelly and openly mocking a young man in the restauarant in front of the other customers. And what appeared to be a so-called manager looked on as his black & Mexican wait staff mocked this fellow.
Apparently Mel's management concurs with their outrageous behavior!.
I wiil never spend another nickel here and gladly spread the word to everyone I know.
I guess ACADIANA IS NOT AS FRIENDLY as everyone told me before I moved here. Using Mr Trump's term, it is SAD!

Reviewed 22 July 2017

It was nearly nine at night and we were finishing out our two day visit to Lafayette. We were hungry and trying to decide what we wanted to eat. Four people of "I am not in the mood for anything special' left us at wit's end. We had passed Mel's Diner a number of times and commented on the name (Kiss my grits).
Just about two miles away I remembered it and we stopped. We were the only ones there and felt bad being there so late. The pink lighting was a little odd but once we sat down and the waitress came over, the night changed to a great experience. She was friendly and so much fun. We browsed the menu of the average greasy spoon but once someone pointed out the Reuben sandwich I was set.
Chicken strips and a hamburger was included in the order. Everything was cook right then and came to the table warm and delicious.
Decided to try desert. The blueberry cobber was a little strong on the vanilla but so good. The brownie sundae was HUGE and delicious. The kids enjoyed greatly and the pecan pie did not get shared. My sister ate it all.
After about 45 minutes the place filled up. Great late night eating.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

The employees were so sweet and friendly! The milkshakes are like old times - just the perfect thickness and like made with real chocolate you can taste. You can't go wrong with any of the breafast items. Their taco salad is also good. You can not beat the prices either!

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Decent diner food - 24x7 - but at 3AM the crazies come out. Just basically go for the food - great breakfast - good burgers - decent service - definitely a DIVE!

Reviewed 20 February 2017 via mobile

Moved to Lafayette a couple months ago and I've been looking for a breakfast place that is tasty and has a comfortable environment. After trying lots of places I think I found it. I ordered the two eggs with bacon, toast and hash browns with coffee. Cooked just I like them. Loved the coffee! Busy with Saturday brunch time crowd. There was a Farmers Market across the street. Waitress kept my coffee cup full and nice small talk.
Looks like I'm going back on my next day off to try the pancakes.