“Do not miss Mel's for breakfast”
Review of Mel's Diner

Mel's Diner
Ranked #64 of 622 Restaurants in Lafayette
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 6 September 2017

Always happy to hit Mel's for breakfast...they have a special 2X2X2...meat, pancake and egg...perfect for me and always cooked perfectly. Service is always fast and with a smile.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

I have been eating breakfast there for over 30 years! I always go the the number 3. Wait staff is always friendly and courteous. Never had my cup of coffee run empty either.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Having an otherwise adequate meal at Mel's on afternoon when it became apparent that the staff is ridiculously HOMOPHOBIC !!
They waiters were cruelly and openly mocking a young man in the restauarant in front of the other customers. And what appeared to be a so-called manager looked on as his black & Mexican wait staff mocked this fellow.
Apparently Mel's management concurs with their outrageous behavior!.
I wiil never spend another nickel here and gladly spread the word to everyone I know.
I guess ACADIANA IS NOT AS FRIENDLY as everyone told me before I moved here. Using Mr Trump's term, it is SAD!

Reviewed 22 July 2017

It was nearly nine at night and we were finishing out our two day visit to Lafayette. We were hungry and trying to decide what we wanted to eat. Four people of "I am not in the mood for anything special' left us at wit's end. We had passed Mel's Diner a number of times and commented on the name (Kiss my grits).
Just about two miles away I remembered it and we stopped. We were the only ones there and felt bad being there so late. The pink lighting was a little odd but once we sat down and the waitress came over, the night changed to a great experience. She was friendly and so much fun. We browsed the menu of the average greasy spoon but once someone pointed out the Reuben sandwich I was set.
Chicken strips and a hamburger was included in the order. Everything was cook right then and came to the table warm and delicious.
Decided to try desert. The blueberry cobber was a little strong on the vanilla but so good. The brownie sundae was HUGE and delicious. The kids enjoyed greatly and the pecan pie did not get shared. My sister ate it all.
After about 45 minutes the place filled up. Great late night eating.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

The employees were so sweet and friendly! The milkshakes are like old times - just the perfect thickness and like made with real chocolate you can taste. You can't go wrong with any of the breafast items. Their taco salad is also good. You can not beat the prices either!