“Desperate Need of TLC”

Sam Houston Jones State Park
Reviewed 13 November 2017

I've visited Sam Houston my entire life. We took field trips during elementary school, my family visited for the day, we frequently launched our boat. I've stayed in the campground and in the cabins. I've spent a lot of time here and I can wholeheartedly say this park needs a good dose of TLC: the roads, trails, campgrounds, bathhouses, playground all need some love. They never really recovered from Hurricane Rita in 2005. The "lake" in the middle of the park is always dry and the fairly new bathhouses could use a good scrub.

Additionally, if you are interested in RV camping the sites are pretty close together with little room for slide outs or longer wheelbases.

Date of experience: January 2017
"hurricane rita"
"small fee"
"nice playground"
in 2 reviews
"a great place to spend"
"boat launch"
in 24 reviews
"cabin"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Brought our grandkids camping and had my granddaughters birthday party. We had a wonderful time. Park was clean and kids had a ball playing games, taking the nature walks, and playing at the park.

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 8 November 2017

We had a nice time at Sam Houston Jones State Park. We took a walk along the river. I also liked the trees in the area. It is a very scenic place to visit and so relaxing to visit.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 7 September 2017

We tried to enjoy a fun weekend with one of my dear friends and help him celebrate his 50th birthday. However, the Ranger kept harassing us every 15 to 20 mins saying we were too loud and bothering the other campers. We asked the other campers and they could not even hear us. He then told us we had to turn off all lights, music, etc and if we wanted to keep talking we would have to get inside our campers. I laughed in his face but he continued until we complied. We got up first light and left. Went to another camp ground that allowed us to enjoy the outdoors without any hassles. I filed a complaint with the state to have refund issued because we all paid for the entire weekend They refused to refund our money. Okay for day time, but night (5pm and beyond) pure hell.

Date of experience: October 2016