“CAMPGROUND STAY”

Sam Houston Jones State Park
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

Taking a shower at this Campground was a pain in the elbow (which I used to press the button for water).
THE SHOWER WATER RUNS FOR EXACTLY 15 SECONDS.
Let me break down that math real quick.
I need at least 20 minutes to shower (especially when traveling!), so I can thoroughly wash & rinse my body & hair.
That means I HAD TO PUSH THAT BUTTON AT LEAST 80 TIMES.
You also don't get a choice of water temperature. Whatever temperature the water is when it comes out, is what you get.
There's just one button.
Four times a minute.
Fortunately the water was nice & hot, but not too hot. It was a perfectly acceptable shower temperature.

The campground fee says $20/night.
After choosing a spot & coming back to pay, all the "fees" brought the total to $28.50.
That is a 40% price increase over the stated price!
The camping spots are pretty close together (I prefer a Campground with a little bit of personal space).
We got site #33 which was on a corner of the one loop, so we had a bit of privacy & forest.
The campfire ring was not cleaned out before our arrival (it was full of ashes & nails), & we had not even checked in early.

There are places to walk, bike, & picnic, & while we did walk nearby the campground to some of the pond areas ("Beware Of Alligators" read the signs), we didn't check out the lake/river areas.

All reviews
"beautiful scenery"
"hot water"
"hurricane rita"

Reviewed 13 November 2017

I've visited Sam Houston my entire life. We took field trips during elementary school, my family visited for the day, we frequently launched our boat. I've stayed in the campground and in the cabins. I've spent a lot of time here and I can wholeheartedly say this park needs a good dose of TLC: the roads, trails, campgrounds, bathhouses, playground all need some love. They never really recovered from Hurricane Rita in 2005. The "lake" in the middle of the park is always dry and the fairly new bathhouses could use a good scrub.

Additionally, if you are interested in RV camping the sites are pretty close together with little room for slide outs or longer wheelbases.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Brought our grandkids camping and had my granddaughters birthday party. We had a wonderful time. Park was clean and kids had a ball playing games, taking the nature walks, and playing at the park.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

We had a nice time at Sam Houston Jones State Park. We took a walk along the river. I also liked the trees in the area. It is a very scenic place to visit and so relaxing to visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 September 2017

We tried to enjoy a fun weekend with one of my dear friends and help him celebrate his 50th birthday. However, the Ranger kept harassing us every 15 to 20 mins saying we were too loud and bothering the other campers. We asked the other campers and they could not even hear us. He then told us we had to turn off all lights, music, etc and if we wanted to keep talking we would have to get inside our campers. I laughed in his face but he continued until we complied. We got up first light and left. Went to another camp ground that allowed us to enjoy the outdoors without any hassles. I filed a complaint with the state to have refund issued because we all paid for the entire weekend They refused to refund our money. Okay for day time, but night (5pm and beyond) pure hell.

1  Thank YoBob536