“Nice ”

Sam Houston Jones State Park
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

So I decided to check this park out because almost every stare I work in I usually stop and check out their state parks. It had just snowed so I knew I would get some good peaceful scenery. I wasn’t disappointed. There are numerous paths to take ranging from 1 mile to 3 miles. Some are defined very well others are a little more rugged. Watch out for alligators and snakes! The cost is 2 dollars to go in which honestly isn’t much.. there’s campgrounds there but I didn’t check pricing for that, sorry. From what I saw the spots were a bit too close together from what I’m used to but like I said, I can’t really get into detail with that. I was too busy on the trails. Great park lots of picnic tables and areas for kids to play.

1  Thank Ruben M
"hot water"
"walking trails"
"hurricane rita"

Reviewed 6 December 2017

Sam Houston Jones State Park is a great place to spend some time. They have cabins, rv parking and tent spaces. It is a nice quiet area to sit back and enjoy some peaceful time. Nice walkways, fishing, picture taking.

2  Thank jffontenot
Reviewed 30 November 2017

Unfortunately, I had only an hour in the park before sundown, but that hour didn't disappoint.

Upon entering, and paying the small fee, I was told, "You'll see plenty of deer!"

No kidding! Within five minutes, there was a doe and her baby, out for dinner. Doesn't hurt when they didn't seem to mind my camera, and in fact, seemed to smile for me!

Immediately across the road, dinner was also being served for an armadillo, once three inquisitive young boys took off on their bicycles. (Gotta give kudos to the parents, who have taught these boys to be quiet when they see wildlife. In fact, they tiptoed behind me to see I was shooting deer, and simply whispered to each other until they ran off.)

There are areas where Mother Nature could use some help from man, and I pray these areas rebound quickly.

Continuing around the drive, I only wished I had arrived sooner, to allow more than an hour before sunset. Sunset over the water was gorgeous, with the various colors enhanced by the glow. Gorgeous.

The cabins look nice, and I may just have to rent one on my next holiday to the area.

Overall, it was an extremely pleasant visit, even if too short.

2  Thank Txtrigeek
Reviewed 28 November 2017

Will always enjoy the wildlife and the river at this park. Miss living close to it these days. Love watching the grandkids play on the playgrounds and enjoy watching the boats going by.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

Taking a shower at this Campground was a pain in the elbow (which I used to press the button for water).
Let me break down that math real quick.
I need at least 20 minutes to shower (especially when traveling!), so I can thoroughly wash & rinse my body & hair.
You also don't get a choice of water temperature. Whatever temperature the water is when it comes out, is what you get.
There's just one button.
Four times a minute.
Fortunately the water was nice & hot, but not too hot. It was a perfectly acceptable shower temperature.

The campground fee says $20/night.
After choosing a spot & coming back to pay, all the "fees" brought the total to $28.50.
That is a 40% price increase over the stated price!
The camping spots are pretty close together (I prefer a Campground with a little bit of personal space).
We got site #33 which was on a corner of the one loop, so we had a bit of privacy & forest.
The campfire ring was not cleaned out before our arrival (it was full of ashes & nails), & we had not even checked in early.

There are places to walk, bike, & picnic, & while we did walk nearby the campground to some of the pond areas ("Beware Of Alligators" read the signs), we didn't check out the lake/river areas.