“Nice spot to camp for the weekend”

Sam Houston Jones State Park
Reviewed 18 January 2018

We had seen the sign for Sam Houston Jones State Park many times, but never stayed there until this past weekend. We will be back. The trailer sites are not very deep, so there is not a lot or room for vehicle parking. The sites are fairly close together and no vegetation in-between, but if you get one of the outside sites it is fairly private. The showers and restrooms were immaculate and appeared to be fairly new. Fire rings in each site and the campers there were using them. About 6 miles into town with good access to groceries and firewood at The Market Basket.

All reviews
"beautiful scenery"
"hot water"
"hurricane rita"

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

So I decided to check this park out because almost every stare I work in I usually stop and check out their state parks. It had just snowed so I knew I would get some good peaceful scenery. I wasn’t disappointed. There are numerous paths to take ranging from 1 mile to 3 miles. Some are defined very well others are a little more rugged. Watch out for alligators and snakes! The cost is 2 dollars to go in which honestly isn’t much.. there’s campgrounds there but I didn’t check pricing for that, sorry. From what I saw the spots were a bit too close together from what I’m used to but like I said, I can’t really get into detail with that. I was too busy on the trails. Great park lots of picnic tables and areas for kids to play.

1  Thank Ruben M
Reviewed 6 December 2017

Sam Houston Jones State Park is a great place to spend some time. They have cabins, rv parking and tent spaces. It is a nice quiet area to sit back and enjoy some peaceful time. Nice walkways, fishing, picture taking.

1  Thank jffontenot
Reviewed 30 November 2017

Unfortunately, I had only an hour in the park before sundown, but that hour didn't disappoint.

Upon entering, and paying the small fee, I was told, "You'll see plenty of deer!"

No kidding! Within five minutes, there was a doe and her baby, out for dinner. Doesn't hurt when they didn't seem to mind my camera, and in fact, seemed to smile for me!

Immediately across the road, dinner was also being served for an armadillo, once three inquisitive young boys took off on their bicycles. (Gotta give kudos to the parents, who have taught these boys to be quiet when they see wildlife. In fact, they tiptoed behind me to see I was shooting deer, and simply whispered to each other until they ran off.)

There are areas where Mother Nature could use some help from man, and I pray these areas rebound quickly.

Continuing around the drive, I only wished I had arrived sooner, to allow more than an hour before sunset. Sunset over the water was gorgeous, with the various colors enhanced by the glow. Gorgeous.

The cabins look nice, and I may just have to rent one on my next holiday to the area.

Overall, it was an extremely pleasant visit, even if too short.

2  Thank Txtrigeek