“Quiet, secluded, and gorgeous”
Review of Samuel Guy House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Natchitoches
Samuel Guy House
Ranked #9 of 24 Natchitoches B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I decided to take a last-minute trip to Natchitoches for our 2nd anniversary. Most other B&Bs were already full by the time I went to book, but the Samuel Guy House had several spots. A positive review from another recent traveler, added to the look and feel of the website, prodded me to book it. We booked the "Marco" room for one night. I am so glad I did!

This was by FAR the cleanest place, B&B or hotel, that I have ever stayed. Not a speck of dust could be found ANYWHERE. We wandered around the rooms before the other guests arrived and all were beautiful, spacious, and just so well done. Each room has its own bathroom, tub with jacuzzi, and separate shower. There are two ground floor rooms and four upstairs rooms.

The Marco Room was painted a cheery bluish-white, and was decorated with Audubon prints and a blue toile bedspread on the queen-sized rice bed (very comfortable). There was a small desk and chair, an armoire that held a TV, two nightstands, and two chairs. There was a small closet that held a refrigerator, coffee pot, and microwave. There were two large windows in the bedroom that brought in a lot of light. There was also a ceiling fan, but it wasn't needed because it was quite cool in our room (the manager will show you where the thermostat is if it's "too" cool for you).

The bathroom was just as bright, with a large window over the tub. The tiled bathroom was small, but the tub was a nice size and the pedestal sink matched the "feel" of the house. The fixtures were high-end Kohler and the shower, albeit not large, was plenty roomy. We had a couple of burned-out bulbs here and there, but they weren't bothersome.

As mentioned in other reviews, the house was relocated from Mansfield, LA several years ago and completely rebuilt and added on to. The original cypress floors remain, except the original upstairs flooring was relocated to downstairs to account for the addition on the back of the house. However, the upstairs rooms still have beautiful hardwood floors.

There are numerous art collections throughout the house - apparently the owner plans to use these as his children's inheritance. In any case, they're worth a look.

The house is located on a dead end street and is almost "carved" out of the side of the American Cemetery. For this reason, it is VERY quiet. We did not hear any road noise and woke up to the sounds of birds chirping. There is a copy of a book written about the cemetery in the dining room; grab it and go for a stroll through the grounds - it's right outside the front door.

The gardens are a work-in-progress right now, but they are turning out beautifully. There is an outdoor seating area with padded patio furniture and ceiling fans. The back porch has two large 2-person swings and four rocking chairs. The front porch also has a few rocking chairs. We sat out there for a bit in the early evening and a friendly neighborhood kitten dropped by for a visit.

Breakfast was served at 8:30 a.m. The dining room is beautiful and we enjoyed our elegant yet simple breakfast. We were served waffles topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream, followed by poached eggs, garlic-cheese toast, sausage, and fresh fruit topped with yogurt. There was plenty of coffee and orange juice as well. We were all offered seconds, but were stuffed so we declined. Everything was warm and brought out promptly.

This B&B has had a rough history from the sound of it. However, the last two financiers were bought out and the house now has a single owner. It is clearly evident that the new owner loves the house - he stopped all weddings, events, etc. and hired Ms. Theresa, the current manager. She was there pulling weeds in the evening and giving tours of the house - only to be back again early next morning to make a delicious, yet simple, breakfast. She takes care of everything, from cleaning the rooms to light maintenance, and she LOVES the house. Her son was the carpenter who rebuilt the salvaged house several years ago, so her knowledge of it is extensive. We mentioned to her that it was our anniversary, and she left a bottle of Andre' pink blush champagne for us on ice. Nothing super fancy, but we didn't mind and enjoyed it quite a bit.

We will definitely be staying there again. We have a trip scheduled in April for a reception at my high school, and I won't even consider staying at another B&B. I can't wait to try the other rooms!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, but consider a suite if that's what you need.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KLee777

Reviewed 23 February 2012

My wife and I were on the road for a day trip and decided to make a overnight in Natchitoches, LA. I normaly like to plan where we stay and use the tripadvisor for information on B&B's. This time as we came close to find a place to stay the night, we started calling B&B's to find one that would rent a room for one night. Several of the B&B in town didn't answer or asked to leave a message. We found out that the economy has taken its share of toll on the local bussinesses. We started to call several of the B&B's from the signs in front of the bussinesses and contacted the owner of Rusca House. Seemes there wasn't any room in the Rusca House but there was room at another B&B they owned the Samuel Guy House.
The house is exactly the type of B&B I look for to stay, being built in the 1830's. The house is not staffed as a previous review stated, but at times that isn't a bad thing as some of the B&B's owner have such a "burn-out" that they tend to stay away from their guest. The staff that met us at the door, Theresa and was very accomodating. She has great knowledge of the house since her son was an original owner and has had a hand in the restoration of the house. She did leave us to stay in the house, but left a contact number if we needed of anything.
Theresa was back in the house early the next morning, filling the house with the smells of a great breakfast. She had breakfast ready when we requested and the stuffed french toast was delicious. After we enjoyed the breakfast, Theresa came in and discussed all of the history of the house. The collection of DUNCAN ROYALE were the finest I've seen. Theresa also gave us good direction on what to see in Natchitoches and the plantations in the area.
I gave this house a excellent recommendation because of its historic and beauty. If you need a host in a B&B this might not be the one for you,but if you enjoy staying in a beautiful home filled with history this one will be for you.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ecarrell1
Reviewed 8 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon. It's a very beautiful place and the breakfast smells scrumptuous! We didnt make it down for breakfast but it smelled some kinda good. The home was being sold at the time we stayed there and the new owner was doing major repairs (didnt need much). Our room had a minor flaw and they gave us a night's stay for the problem. That's very nice considering B&B's in Natchitoches fill up so quickly, they arent hurting for business. It's about 1/3 of a mile from Front Street. The shops are within walking distance. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a semi-secluded B&B for a special, relaxing stay. We heard no one the entire time we were there even though it was booked full. Give Theresa a call and tell her Mr Landry sent ya. You won't regret your relaxing stay there. Merry Christmas to all!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John L
Reviewed 27 December 2009

I begged my bf to take me to Natchitoches, and e finally agreed and said he would make reservations. Well we wanted to go for one night but there is a two night minimum, he did not realize this. So we went thinking he paid for one night, but when we got there we were informed the owner wrote and email saying there was a two night minium, even though we had a confirmation number the owner must approve all transactions.

So we arrive in Natchitoches on Sat and I call tell find out that we did not have a reservation bc of the minimum of 2 nights. Well luckily for us the people who rebooked the room we wanted was a no show the night before so we got to purchase the room we wanted. The owner (i can't remember her name) was very nice, she left a catering job to come and get everything taken care of. The room was very cute, I liked it a lot. Only complaints I would say are that we did not have a remote in the room and that we could not find the ice machine upstairs. I just went and got some from the freezer downstairs.

I will ABSOLUTELY stay here again, the way the owner acknowledged how much of a bind we would have been in was very considerate and appreciated.

Oh yeah, they have a candy bar upstairs, the cutest, best idea for a bed and breakfast. It fixed my sweet tooth after pizza.Keep that up for sure!

Be aware if you go for Fetsival of Lights, the restaurants downtown had a wait of 2 or 3 hrs. We just ordered Dominos and went back to the room for a movie.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2009

This is a beautifully restored home which was moved from elsewhere in Louisiana to its current site. Prospective guests should know that it is not acfually a staffed b+b. It is a venue with rooms where you can stay. There is no one resident on-site. In the morning, a couple of staffers arrive to prepare the breakfast, which is not as sumptuous as described on the website. Ours was cool and obviously prepared in advance. If you want a b+b experience, this is not it. The big thing here is that they do weddings and events.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple