“Mixed bag experience”

Grand Summit Resort at Sunday River
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bethel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just left today after a five night stay with husband and a few friends . We booked a midweek five night package months ago in a deluxe studio and it was a good rate ($715 including lodging and breakfast).

I admit I had not done my homework in reading prior reviews as I usually do. We had a mixed bag stay and I will try to explain what we liked and what we did not, and why.

First I will compliment the staff. I think uniformly everyone was friendly. The dining staff in particular (especially breakfast)were really nice and everything was mostly well tended (yes there were times when clean bowls or other could not be found when you wanted but that was minor), we enjoyed the breakfast offerings especially the french toast with blackberries and fresh whipped cream one day....and peach pancakes another. The egg bar offered every variety, the bar area was nice and the menu reasonably priced. I had a Lobster roll one night and all seven of us were amazed at the many many BIG pieces of lobster, alongside a tasty “winter salad”as my choice of side.
The front desk staff and ski room staff were very good. The cleaning staff well intentioned.
There were days when we were pretty sure cleaning did not come in, or they came in to take away wet towels but did not leave new coffee etc. so it was a little hit or miss.

THE BIGGEST PROBLEMS WERE NOISE AND SOME OF THE FURNITURE ISSUES....AS WELL AS LOCATION OF ROOMS.

We did not know there were three wings....EAST...directly above reception and ski valet is located at end of east wing first floor. NORTH which has the pools and fitness club at its one end and, joining the East wing, pretty much form the main hotel with lobby, restaurant, bar all at the juncture. SOUTH wing is far away and that is where all the major conference rooms, meeting rooms are. A good location if you are there to attend a conference in warm weather....NOT good if you are there to ski and have to trek to far end of east wing to get your skis and go onto slopes...same re access to pool .

My MURPHY bed was a torture due to loud squeaking slats....we moved the mattress to inspect after a day and did not see any obvious fix...but after more miserable waking myself up with every turn, my husband inverted a few low bent slats, used bath gel to lubricate others, and we propped pillows under some low slats to bolster them....YES....squeeks gone for LAST night......YAY.......BUT .....people moved in the room above (moved into 203 on Thursday 1/18) and from 1-3 am there were multiple people constantly moving around and you can hear every step in room above. We had had upstair neighbors on night one and you could hear every step but they kept normal hours, not having multiple people 1-3am!! I was so glad to leave because I really never got a decent night sleep there. Ugh.

Ski In, Ski Out is nice....pool and hot tub great.

So much good but be aware of so so furniture and lots of noise all around (too many neighbors let doors slam and kids running down halls too). Nice staff though!

Room Tip: Top floor in east or north wing
Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank MEDISKIS

Reviewed 27 October 2017

Our room was a bit on the Spartan side ,with only beds ,table and one chair, this hotel is geared for the ski season , the hotel is way out in the sticks and the dinner/breakfasts menus are aimed at the captive guests, ok for a short visit but not for a long stay particularly in the fall

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2017

The resort is nicely appointed and staff were very friendly. There was some timing issues with the food but what was served was very good and fresh. They work hard to keep things clean and the updating of the siding looked great. We would definitely comeback to stay a night or two given the opportunity.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank maxim04074
Reviewed 20 August 2017

As with many others, I recently stayed here as part of a GRC conference trip. Overall the hotel was excellent, with major plus points being:

- The food served at Camp (delicious and with plenty of variety. Also included above-par coffee)
- The size and quality of the rooms - nice, big, comfortable beds, modern bathrooms, and generally nice decor
- Activities on offer, which included hiking, kayaking, and archery
- The staff! Perhaps the most friendly and personable hotel staff I've ever met

The only negative points I can really think of are the loud A/C, as mentioned by some others (though it does definitely do the job in cooling the rooms down in summer) and that it isn't the cheapest place to stay, even for a conference. But all in all I'd highly recommend the Grand Summit.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank llacerta
Reviewed 18 August 2017

Friendly staff, beautiful area, nice room. However, we would never stay again! We had to pay a "setup" fee of $51 and a daily $25 fee for cleaning. We could only stay for five days and never used the maid service for a one bedroom unit. They claimed the owners also paid this. We have owned and traded timeshares since the early a1980s and this is a first!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Armed Forces Vacation Club
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
30.9 km away
2.6 km away
River View Resort
River View Resort
#14 of 16 in Bethel

Been to Grand Summit Resort at Sunday River? Share your experiences!