“Very Good Casual Fare”

Ranked #6 of 39 Restaurants in Bethel
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Bar
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner
Description: Suds Pub has been an icon in Bethel, Maine for over a quarter century, welcoming locals and visitors alike. Family friendly, unpretentious and great value for money. Open every day from 11.30 For lunch, dinner and late night, with live music Thursday (open mike night), Friday and Saturday nights. Specialties include our hugely popular pizza: a small one topping pizza is available in the pub on Tuesday nights for only $5. Bed and breakfast accommodation is also available in the Sudbury Inn directly upstairs.
Reviewed 22 March 2016

Had dinner hear after skiiing. Really enjoyed the ambience and meal for casual fare. It is downstairs from the Sudbury Inn. Very quaint with a good bar with about 20 seats. Had a guitarist playing good selection of tunes for the 1.5 hours that we were there. Had a spinach salad, bison burger, and bean burrito. All of it was better then average and our server was superb. This isn't going to be for a romantic night out but with a big group just looking to fill the tank with decent food. Very good selection of beer both on tap and in bottle....Don't go for wines as low end.

Reviewed 15 March 2016

Pretty typical bar food. Fairly good selection of beers on tap. We went in the afternoon and unfotunately there was only one server who was also the bartender. She did a good job considering she tended to all of the tables downstairs, however the service was slow as you can imagine

Reviewed 5 March 2016

As part of our yearly Bethel trip, my family always orders take out hors d'oeuvres from the pub for apres skis. Despite the lack of skiing, we still ordered our apres. After an approximately 10-15 minute wait (which was very fast compared to previous years), we received our 2 dishes. The first dish was the excellent nachos, which had lots of gooey cheddar-jack cheese and crispy chips, served with a side of sour cream and salsa. The second dish was the "basket" of crisp and flavorful homemade onion rings. Combined, these 2 dishes satisfied the 5 hungry members of my family.

Reviewed 29 February 2016 via mobile

The following is the letter I emailed to the Suds Pub. They have not been decent enough to reply so I am writing this review. My first ever. Have had some poor dining experiences in my life but none overall this poor.

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

I am writing to relate the experience my wife and I had at your pub on Valentines day. My wife and I arrived at around 3:30pm. There were maybe 10 people at the bar and 3 tables occupied with small parties. We had never been to your establishment before and went based on your trip advisor reviews. Let me preface this email by saying that my wife and I have two small children and this was the first time since last January that we had been out to dinner by ourselves. We walked into the pub and did not see any sign as to whether seat ourselves or wait for someone to seat us. There was someone cleaning off a table right beside us and he totally ignored us. I caught the bartenders eye and he totally ignored me also. I was about to walk out when the man who was clearing the table came back and said to seat ourselves. We sat down and 10 minutes later the bartender came over and asked what we wanted to drink and eat. Since we had plenty of time on the menu we ordered our meal. My wife ordered the French onion soup to be abruptly told that they were out. No substitution was offered and the bartender seemed very put out to wait while my wife decided on just the salad. We got our drinks about 5 minutes later and there was no lemon in my wife's water. I flagged down the bartender and he did bring some over to her. For the next 20 minutes we saw no one. I was done my beer in 5 minutes and my wife was out of water. No one came to check on us till our food arrived. Our meals were served to us and I asked the young man for another beer and another water for my wife. We never got them. We had not gotten our appetizer order of nachos. I figured they were forgotten. A minute later a person from the kitchen brought our nachos and said that he hoped it was ok. He did not stick around for a reply. We ate our nachos and started on our dinners which were cold by now. My wife gave up on her salad as soon as it was put in front of her. It consisted of very wilted lettuce and a couple of pieces of cheese and some grapes that looked like they were halved several days before. My panini was ok but cold. Finally a woman came over and checked on us. She asked about my wife's salad and said she would take it off the bill. We asked for a second round of drinks and actually got them. We finally got our bill and the salad was still on there. That was about the last straw for me. We paid our bill and I left a small tip and left. I never leave less than 20% but I left $4 on a $50 bill. My wife was on the verge of tears and I was fuming as our Valentines dinner had been ruined and we will not have the chance to have a night out alone again for a long time. I have never complained about something like this in my life but this experience warranted an email as we have never had worse service or more mediocre food. I could maybe understand if the place was jam packed but servers were just standing around chatting. I am not sure if this is normal for your establishment but it is not the way we are used to be treated in a restaurant. I wanted to bring this to your attention.

Reviewed 27 February 2016

We always call in here on the day we arrive for pizza and beer before checking into our hotel. Usually a Thursday evening but this year was a Saturday. We were reticent about going back after our experience last year but the pizza is excellent.
We got in and sat at a recently vacated table, only to be told by a surly waiter, (wearing a sweatshirt and glasses, a lady, table was near the pac man machine) that she needed us to move so she could clean the table and that there was a wait. So we moved to the bar and suddenly there was no one waiting and we got the newly cleaned table. Now I'm all for a sarcastic and edgy sense of humour but she was just abrasive.
Anyway, good beer and fab pizza.

1  Thank mutsnuts01

Been to Sud's Pub? Share your experiences!