All reviews sun room cookies hideaway room other guests tennis ball hot mulled cider popovers new england my husband and i very special place breakfast was delicious b bs cheese and crackers large table within walking distance living room carriage house
Reviewed 1 November 2015

My wife and I were in New England as a couple for the first time in 35 years. We searched all over websites like you're doing right now. Our eyes seemed to go cross-eyed. I came across Captain Jeffereds Inn in Kennebunkport, Maine while we were deciding where we would stay in MA, VT, NY or ME. We booked nothing at that time.

Then the day of the trip we were on the search again and came across very good references of Captain Jefferds Inn. We called the owner of the Inn. She was delightful to talk with and we choose to spend our only two vacation nights with them. Best decision ever. Off-the-charts! I wish we could have stayed a week.

This place had it all; charm, romance, fair price, great breakfast and wonderful staff. I recommend it without reservation. In fact, we are going to South Central Massachusetts in February and I'm thinking we will forgo looking at other B&Bs in MA and make the two and a half hour trek to Kennebunkport just to be with these wonderful new friends and their outstanding home.

Your search is over. Take the plunge and book it. I don't write reviews but Captain Jefferds was that good that I've opted to write this one. Hope it helps you! Dick

Room Tip: If you're looking for romantic, chose the Arundel Room. Tub for two, first place, spacious
1  Thank Richard H
captainjefferds, Owner at Captain Jefferds Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2015

Thank you for this seriously wonderful review! I am so glad we were able to provide you with such a memorable experience here at the Captain Jefferds Inn. We feel fortunate to have this Bed and Breakfast but reading reviews such as yours makes this experience that much better. You are more than welcome back here, because just like you we would like to see our new friends again too! Please do keep us in mind, it sure can be beautiful here in February!
Warm wishes to you both,

Reviewed 1 November 2015

Captain Jefferds Inn was the highlight of our girl's trip through the New England states. Gracious and friendly innkeepers and staff. Two of us stayed in the Garden Room which was very tastefully appointed. Very comfortable beds, nice linens, two comfy armchairs with ottoman to relax after a day of exploring the area. Bathroom had large, soft towels and a shower with plenty of hot water. One out of party stayed in the Terrace Room and was very pleased with that room as well. The breakfasts were delicious and there are always some type of snack and beverage available throughout the day. The Inn is located a block off the main ocean road and just a few blocks' walk from great restaurants and shopping. I would highly recommend Captain Jefferds Inn to anyone visiting the Kennebunkport area.

Room Tip: Garden Room had very easy first floor accessibility.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends

I am so happy to hear that your girls trip was such a great success! We love hosting ladies getaways here at the Inn. We often find that no matter what the reason is to leave home, for a long weekend or just a night, guests are able to find just what they are looking for here with the variety of rooms we have to offer. Thank you for sharing your experience and for the great recommendation! If you find yourselves in New England again we would love to have you back!
Best wishes,

Reviewed 31 October 2015

This lovely and fairly large inn is ideally located on a quiet lane yet walking distance to Kennebunkport village.
The owners and their helping hands were invariably gracious and contributed to the warm atmosphere in the inn.
Our room "Montpelier" (2nd floor) was very nice and well appointed though the bathroom a little small...
We really enjoyed our stay at Captain Jefferds Inn and would surely recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: Room "Montpelier" is nice and quiet and easily accessible (2nd floor)
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple

We are ever so gracious of this review you've written as well and your recommendation! I am glad we were able to assist you throughout your stay- that is of course what we are here for! We are always happy to aid guests in planning their stay before they arrive as well as while they are here.
We hope see you back in Maine some time soon.
Warm wishes from us to Vermont,

Reviewed 31 October 2015

Large, gracious historic home with gracious innkeepers but keep in mind that it is a B&B so if having breakfast (2 seating times) at a common table with other guests is not your thing, then look for something else. Spacious common areas throughout the ground floor for relaxing and coffee/tea available all day and cookies/cheese etc available in the afternoon. They also have wine available for a nominal fee ($7-$8/glass). Not all of the rooms are located in the main house. I was in the HIdeaway room (compact room up an exterior flight of steps with a small duck your head entrance). It is a dog-friendly room and it seems that the dog-friendly rooms are located outside of the main house and have exterior entrances. All rooms equipped with hair dryer, lotion, shampoo and crème rinse). I am an early riser and was able to enter the main house and have coffee and read the paper (NY Times, Wall Street Journal and the Portland, ME paper were available) in the sunroom. Free Wi-Fi is also available. No TV's. Walked into town at night to eat. The reason I chose the Inn was because they indicated they had free bicycles available to use. although they had put them away for the winter, they graciously found one for me and I was able to explore the area by bike. Bottom line, would I stay there again? Yes, most definitely. The location is excellent.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
captainjefferds, Owner at Captain Jefferds Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive experience with us and other readers, we are very appreciative! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Captain Jefferds Inn and you found the Hideaway Room. We call this room our hidden little gem because it is indeed small but lovely none the less. Hideaway is perfect for guests like you who are interested in exploring the town and utilizing the other common spaces in the Inn like the sun-room or living room. Also, we love when guests take advantage of all of the house and what we have to offer such as the bicycles. Thank you once again for this great review and we look forward to seeing you back here some day soon!
All the best,

Reviewed 30 October 2015

We stayed in the Garden Room, airy nice quality linens, comfy bed. After a long trip to Maine a warm shower was much welcome only to find a mold and mildew infested shower tub area. The next morning we addressed the problem with the housekeeper only to be told that it was an ongoing problem and not mildew but paint/grout turning color when wet. We let it be, stayed three nights and addressed the innkeeper on our last morning. She was taken aback by the housekeeper's comments, gave us a 20 percent discount and was much apologetic. She was most gracious. That said, this is the number one rated Inn in Kennebunkport and we were expecting much more attention to very basic cleanliness. Perhaps we are not a match for the Jefferds.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
CJIInnkeeper, Owner at Captain Jefferds Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2016

As you stated I am horrified that our housekeeper treated your request so poorly. Trust me, she was appropriately spoken to.
Mold is an ongoing enemy of most older properties, and although we try to stay ahead of any and all occurrences in this case we obviously failed.
My only wish is that you had spoken to me personally as I would have remedied the problem while you were here.
As a guest once told me, it's not that there is a problem, but it's how you handle it that matters.
My sincere apologies,