“A five star happy hour”
Review of Scales Restaurant

Scales Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Scales Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 632 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 14 February 2018

We stopped in for drinks and oysters at round 4:30. Oyster were a buck a pice and the wine was a French chardonnay that was delicious. I believe that the regular menu is a bit too pricey but you can't beat the happy hour.

2  Thank John D

Reviewed 6 February 2018

It took me a couple times here but I really like this place. The food, while not traditional fried seafood, is excellent. The consistency is also excellent. The service is just as good this is one of my favorite spots in Portland. The sea bass is very good as is the fish in cream sauce, delicious.

1  Thank Dew-it2it
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

We went to Scales on a Friday night and were pleasantly surprised to be seated quickly without having a reservation!
We didn’t have much time to eat before heading to a concert so we started with the Anadama sweet bread ...delicious! They have many bread options on the menu. I ordered the lemon sole with hazelnuts ...which was served as a very healthy portion and absolutely delicious! My husband ordered the Grilled Swordfish Special with broccoli which he thoroughly enjoyed. My meal did not come with a vegetable; I didn’t realize the price didn’t have include a veg of the day! They do have side options that you can order a hot veg.
We decided we had just enough time for dessert and ordered the frozen custard special with hint of peppermint and bits of chocolate cake. My first frozen custard! It was light and creamy with just enough added taste!
We left feeling adequately full but not overly so. Their menu offerings are not your standard fish entrees..they go beyond that to prepare in a most amazing dish!
Excellent!

1  Thank WhiteMtnskier
Reviewed 29 January 2018

Really fresh food, prepared with great attention to detail - my kind of place!
My husband and I visited Scales for the first time this weekend. We drove 2 hours from Massachusetts for an overnight stay in Portland, and could only try one new restaurant. The great experience began with my husband's phone call to secure a reservation. Although the reservations were completely booked for Saturday night, the hostess gave my husband information about the peak hours, and told him they reserve a set number of tables for walk-ins. We arrived at 9 pm and were seated immediately. We started with the brown bread, lightly buttered and grilled - yummy. We had a late lunch on Saturday, and we weren't super hungry so we each ordered two appetizers. I had the Tomato-Fennel Soup with Smoked Mussels. The soup was very tasty, seasoned to perfection, and the smoked mussels were tender morsels with just the right amount of smoke flavor. I also had the Fried Oysters, which were better than any fried oyster I've ever eaten. The batter was light, crunchy, and well seasoned. The oysters were cooked to perfection. Even the salad served with the oysters was incredible - very fresh, including a subtle, light dressing, and mixed greens with fresh parsley. The Rose' from Provence was a fabulous complement, and a bargain at only $8/glass. My husband had the Lobster Stew, exceptional flavor, plenty of lobster meat, although we thought the broth was a bit thin. He also had the Smoked Mackerel Pate'. He said it was more like a filet of fish than a pate' and it could have used more smoke flavor. We later realized that it was not served with sourdough toasts (as mentioned on the menu), or any crackers. But, he ate it all and said it was very good. He had an American Brown Real Ale from Atlantic Brewing Company in Bar Harbor Maine. Local brew is good stuff! Of course, there's always room for dessert! I had the Sticky Toffee Pudding (to die for!!) and hubby had the Indian Pudding (he loved it!) The service was excellent, and food was delivered to our table by several different servers, so it arrived hot and fresh. When we first arrived, the restaurant was still bustling, and it can be loud. There's lots of space between the tables, though, so you can have an intimate dinner conversation. Entrees seem a bit pricey - but given the quality of the food, I suspect that it's worth it. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank AuntieCC209
Reviewed 28 January 2018

I will get my biggest complaint out of the way first, and this is the reason for the average rating. Yes, this is a seafood restaurant. There is almost literally nothing for non-meat eaters, except for maybe a salad and an appetizer. The vegetable side dishes all have meat in them. Many of the fish dishes have meat in them. Even to a pescatarian, this seems unnecessarily hostile. Usually if you ask at a restaurant like this about veg options, the server will provide assistance or offer something not on the menu, but here our server explained that the restaurant's price point was so high that serving something meatless would be, reading between the lines here, beneath them.

If you are a pescatarian there are certainly things you can eat but keep an eye out for the pork products snuck into thngs like scallops. And do not count on eating vegetables.

Getting that out of the way, the food is quite good and the service friendly and attentive. They offer valet parking and have a bustling bar scene.