“Great food and enjoyed the atmosphere”
Review of JP's Bistro

JP's Bistro
Ranked #79 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2018

Our party of six visited on a weekend trip to Portland. We have been several times over a number of years now and it never ceases to deliver. IF you want a quiet fine dining experience then this is not the place for you. We all love the atmosphere and every year we travel out of our way for our meal here. Recommend the short rib ravioli and pistachio muscles but all the food is really good. Never been pressured to vacate and we have started as early as 6 oclock in the past.

2  Thank mutsnuts01

Reviewed 19 March 2018

You need a reservation because JP's is a small restaurant crammed into a small space in a tiny strip mall. Very popular with locals for good reason - good food and good prices. Service is OK - nothing to complain about but nothing special either. There is nothing in the place to absorb sound so it can get pretty loud - not a good place to visit with friends or family - hard to hear. We will go back but try to get there shortly after they open to help mitigate the noise issue. Notice, the food is excellent while most of the negative comments are related to the size and noise level - a shame because while we will go again this place will not become one of our favorites - lots of good italian restaurants that are easier to get into and much more comfortable. We may try using take out as a way to enjoy their food because they are 10 minutes from home.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Tried dinner at JP's after hearing rave reviews from coworkers. Made a reservation because we heard its small. Staff were amazingly friendly and food was yummy, rich Bistro style. It is very loud, very dark and very cramped. Barely enough room for wait staff to serve.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

The food was ok. Crab mushrooms could have used some butter in the dish and cooked a bit longer. I really like the booze in it but it wasn't cooked off so it was a bit overwhelming. Shrimp scampi was good, chicken was adequate...needed the sauce to be thicker. Good drinks. The service was ok. saw the person serving water more than the server they basically carry food to tables like everyone else. I was a bit taken a back by 2 things. 9.00 for a slice of mud pie. To be fair it is large but it tasted like ice cream with oreos around it which I love but.... The other thing that was a little more than I bargained for it there is a surcharge on the bill of 2 % which I thought maybe was because I was using a credit card but when I looked it up online it said it is to offset the minimum wage hike which is in my mind a service charge as if we are a large party. I had already tipped accordingly. I saw nothing on the menu informing me I was going to be charged. It makes me uncomfortable. Don't give me bread with my meal and take off the surcharge would be my advice.....

1  Thank arewehavingfunyet4
Reviewed 20 February 2018

Small, noisy restaurant. The food was good, but......you are given approximately 1-1/2 hour to consume your meal, and then are asked to leave as others are waiting for your table. For that reason, I will never go back.
Note to owner: Don't take so many reservations. Let your diners enjoy their meal without feeling they are being kicked out the door.

2  Thank Rene62056