“Taco Tuesdays!”

Hella Good Tacos
Ranked #286 of 620 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

I come here a lot. The food and drink is always on point. They do run out of things, as it takes a long time to make this quality food. I just take it as a chance to try something different. If you're into Cali style Mexican food and some high quality salsa (salsa not Pico) then this place is for you. If you're looking for the typical Chipotle/Qdoba-esq Mexican food than this might not be your style.

Almost forgot the $2 Taco Tuesdays, which are simply awesome for the ol' budget.

Reviewed 13 May 2016

Well...I'm not sure how I can accurately judge Hella Good Tacos since I went on the day after Cinco de Mayo and they were almost out of EVERYTHING. We could only choose from two meats and some of the vegetarian options. It was daunting trying to order anything that was in stock. The pleasant gentlemen at the counter seemed okay with his excuse of, “What do you expect the day after Cinco de Mayo.” Silly me! I expect a restaurant that serves Mexican food and beer to stock appropriately in order to serve customers on Seis de Mayo. Or save me some time and close for the day. Since they were out of so much we almost left, but decided to order since we were there. I needed a beer and my friend had talked it up so much I couldn't leave empty handed. I settled on the chorizo taco and the chayote taco. The chayote was definitely the standout of the two, but I wouldn't have ordered it had I had more meat choices. And, it wasn't enough for me to order it again. The salsa bar left a lot to be desired. Of course there were a lot of empty spaces there as well. I didn't find any that I had to slather my taco in. So, it was missing a vital salsa element. Overall I had a bad feeling in my mouth, literally, about this joint. None in the party had great things to say about it. One just picked over her food and left the majority of it. On a service note, it seems that it is customary to order, sit down, they call your name, and you go up and get your food. Ok. Not a problem. However, our party was the ONLY party in the restaurant (perhaps others know NOT to go on May 6th) and we sat at the table closest to the kitchen. The worker brought the food out, looked at us, set it on the counter, and called a name. I was stunned that she didn't walk an extra couple of feet and just hand it to us. Why make us walk over to the counter? I think that's hella lame!

1  Thank tren2no
Reviewed 1 April 2016

We had heard good things about Hella Good Tacos at Steve & Renee's so we decided to have lunch there. We stood in a short line, then took seats at a small table. The menu was on a board w/many parts too small to read well. We ordered sour cream, guacamole, & chips as well as 3 tacos w/rice & beans. One taco had pulled pork, the others had shredded beef, two w/onions and no cilantro. I was disappointed because the guacamole was just mashed avocado w/no condiments, not even salt & pepper. The chips were good. Each taco had double soft tortilla shells but quickly turned soggy & difficult to handle because of the small amount of sauce on the meat. The beans & rice were blah. Everything lacked that wonderful flavor one expects from Mexican cuisine.

Reviewed 3 January 2016

So if you live in Portland Maine in January you go out and look for different places that you haven't experienced. The tourist factor is low and it's a chance to experience places you haven't been before. Be careful it would be real easy to drive by this location and miss a good time. Your greated by a menu board, which changes frequently and don't for get to try out the daily special. We had Chirizo chowder off the specials board and would have missed a gem if we had not tried. The two taco plate included beans, rice and a side salad which made the $7.something platter a great deal. Shrimp tacos were small but really paced with flavors. The fresh chips, the salsa bar and local beers on tap...how could you go wrong. If you in Portland, get out of the Old port and give this place a try. You'll be happy!

Reviewed 26 May 2015

We stopped the other day for the first time. It is a little confusing as it still has Steve & Renee's signage up. But we saw the Tacos sign in the window and ventured in. We expected a order at the window type of place but when we entered the friendly guy at the counter advised us to have a seat wherever we liked. He arrived promptly with menus and took our drink order. They have Bessel Brothers Substance on tap so we were already impressed. I loved my burrito with chorizo, guacamole and sour cream. My husband tried the "roast pig" torta which is a Mexican sandwich. His was OK, pork was a bit dry. The salsa bar is great fun and added a lot of interest to our meals. Prices are great! We will definitely be going back. My husband will just be choosing a different menu item.