“Indian delights in lovely setting”
Review of Hi Bombay

Hi Bombay
Ranked #175 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 13 February 2016

We came here for a late lunch to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were not met by anyone at the door but
eventually a fellow showed us to a table. We were the only persons dining in but, when we asked, the waiter told us they do a big takeout business. We each decided to order the non-vegetarian Thali, which included a full meal (tea, lentil soup, appetizers & bread, two entrees w/basmati rice, & dessert). We added garlic nan and an order of pakora. The soup was smooth, delicious, great as a first course. The garlic nan was garlicky enough and the pakora, terrific. The samosa turnovers were also yummy, w/three sauces available to go w/appetizers. By the time our entrees arrived, we were getting full. The chicken curry and the lamb curry were marvelous, tender and not overpowered by the sauce. I had asked for one meal to taste mild and the other, medium, but the waiter decided to make both a combination of mild-medium. This was too bad because I wanted to taste the difference. Both meals tasted very mild to us. I had said I am allergic to nuts so I was given the gulab jamon w/honey & coconut slivers while my husband was given rice pudding w/pistachios that he really enjoyed. We ate quite a lot but still had plenty to take home, including 2 free mango drinks, compliments of the restaurant because of our anniversary. Our waiter was pleasant, the food very good, and we wished more people would discover this lovely place with real Indian delights. We shall definitely return to try other dishes! We have tried several Indian restaurants in various locations and Hi Bombay gets our vote as being great!

Reviewed 26 June 2015

Nice little Indian place in Portland where there are 4 Indian restaurants.We tried a couple of them before and prefered this one;nice setting,well decorated and most of all the food was excellent.
.The buttered and the curry chicken plates were excellent and the naan bread was fresh and tasty.Price was reasonable and service pretty fast.We will come back.

Reviewed 19 May 2015

I only ordered takeout but saw that there were only two people there for dining on a Tuesday evening. Maybe it's a slow time but maybe this is indicative of my experience. I asked for mild food. Even my husband, who loves to order hot, thought there was way too much heat. We both agreed that the food seemed oily and burned. Mattar Paneer should not be in a brown curry that burns your mouth. The mint chutney took off the rest of the skin on my tongue. All of this served up with a long wait for take-out and an incredibly indifferent attitude that includes ignoring customers, ignoring their wishes (why ask how one wants it when you are going to make it super hot?), and having one's credit card tossed back at you without a

2  Thank PhineastheCat
Reviewed 17 May 2015 via mobile

I had thought this place was decent, until my husband and I went there with a coupon from restaurant.com. We have been there quite a few times in the past. However, on our last visit we presented a coupon prior to ordering. We were immediately met with a grimmace as the waiter abruptly snatched it from the table and walked away muttering something about the coupon not supposed to be available anymore and they had to told the company to take it down. Regardless of whatever issues they had with groupon, it should never be translated to the customer, but that's unfortunately what happened to us.

Nowhere on the coupon did it say that drinks could not be included in the $50 minimum. He said fine he'll include the drinks, only to have another lady approach us when our food was being brought to us, telling us they can't include the drinks and that we needed to order to more food right then. It created a very awkward situation as our food was sitting in front of us and she is standing there, pen at the ready waiting for us to order more food! I politely asked her to let us eat and we would let them know when we were ready to order more.

Long story short, after much going back and forth with them it was determined that they would have to include the drinks as nowhere in the coupon did it say we couldn't. They ruined a rare night out for my husband and I. It was awkward and embarrassing. We will NEVER go back there again!

3  Thank Ed R
Reviewed 12 January 2015 via mobile

Good service and great food. Got the bread basket, Nazim's platter, the mixed grill and chicken curry with all the pickles and chutney's to share. Price was good with the restaurant.com coupon but would have been a bit expensive without it.

1  Thank Will K