“Wonderful Stay due to Manager Greg MacLean” 5 of 5 bubbles

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland, Maine
“Wonderful Stay due to Manager Greg MacLean”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

My children and I enjoyed every minute of our recent stay at the Clarion. The hotel manager, Greg MacLean saw to every detail, a clean and lovely room, welcome tray of teats and welcoming us himself. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable, The children never wanted to leave the pool and hot tub, but when finally coaxed from the pool area, they were actually excited to return to our room to snack on brownies and sit and watch a movie in our spacious room. Breakfast the next morning left us all full and happy, but of course, not too full to return to the pool for one last swim. The check out time of noon is a wonderful way to relax n the morning and still enjoy our stay. Mr. MacLean checked on us and I hace nothing but rave reviews. This is a perfect get away for families, even if you live only a mile down the street!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the suite and found it to be spacious and comfortable as well as very quiet. We loved eve...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Peterborough, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Hotel price is well below competitors (I asked them to lower it on the phone, they immediately did).
Positives- Room was clean and in good shape. Everything worked. Pool was cold but nice, hot tub was well loved. Staff was very friendly. Easy highway access. Workout room is adequate.
Negatives- The blanket on the bed is decorative only, covering perhaps 1/3rd of bed Then you are left with only a sheet to stay warm with. Did not make for a good night sleeping. Why??? There is also no continental breakfast offered. There is an in-hotel restaurant, but for the price we went a block down the road to Denny's.
Summary- Nice hotel if you are on a budget.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DuckFriend
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Please understand that I stay at over 200 hotels each year. So, I have been in some pretty difficult situations. I can honetstly say this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The hotel is worn and dirty and the managerment refuses to take charge of unrulely guest. The hotel is located in an easy location from the Interstate and parking is free. Other than this, I can not think of any reason why anyone would stay here. The carpets are dirty, there is only one elevator and it is slow. I waited over five minutes for it to move from the first to fifth floor. Even the door on the elevator has splash stains that was not cleaned in two days I stayed in the hotel.

The carpets in the room are directy. The bathroom is small with only enough room to stand in the shower. The matteress on the bed is worn and lumpy and the pllows are made of foam rubber. The air conditioning in the room was the old model that is attached to the floor. When I checked in the AC or hearing would not work. They had to turn it on. Once it was turned on the room was either too hot or too cold and the until made a terrible noise. Also, the smell in the hall way was of disinfectentent. Also, I had the shuttle driver to take me to a local restaurent. However, when I was ready to return to the hotel I called them at least 10 times and no one answered the phone. I finally took a taxie back to the hote and when I arrived the shuttle driver was mopping the lobby.

On the second night it seems that several hundred families with very young children checked into the hotel. These families wanted to have their pizza parties in the hallway or in their rooms with the doors open. Throughout the night the children were running up and down the hall way, kicking or bouncing balls and screaming. I attempted to talk with the parnets, but they said "they are kids" and "its not too bad". I called the front desk three times, but nothing was done to control the noise, which I could hear in my room with the television on.

I conducted a seminar at this hotel and spent about $4,000 dollars and even during the conference I could hear children yelling and screaming in the pool area. If you have a large number of children that wants to run wild, this may be a perfect hotel. However, if you want any level of peace and quite, you need to stay away from this hotel. I would NEVER stay at this hotel again! What you see is what you get.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all cost
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank FLJ021251
Greg M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Thank you for making the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor, and for speaking with me in the lobby shortly after writing it. I have shared the positive feedback you gave me about your seminar on Managing Disruptive Classroom Behavior with our catering staff. They were pleased to hear how happy you were with the service they provided.

I want to again apologize on behalf of the families that disturbed you. As we treat all of our guests with courtesy and dignity, it did take me from 7:30 to 8pm to get the large group having pizza party in one room dispersed and back to their own rooms. As we often do with teams, we have offered them a small function room to have dinner in on their next night so as not to disturb other guests. We were unaware that this was their intention on their first night.

As I frequently do, I encourage all future guests to seek out a member of our management team if any portion of their experience is not as they expect. We honor our Commitment to Satisfaction and will make every effort to see that challenges are rectified as quickly as possible and that your needs are met.
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Get the room that opens up to the Pool! It was the best part about it! My friends and I got a room last minute after St. Patricks Day and when we got there we noticed a door, it opened and lead right to the pool! SCORE! the rooms were very clean and the bed was very comfortable! I had a great time!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Milton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

My recent stay at the Clarion was fantastic. The staff was very accommodating, and extremely helpful. The pool was great, and very clean. They provided fun beach towels for the guests which was a great addition. The hotel must have just gone through a renovation as it was in good condition. The furntire in the rooms and bed seemed new. Great flat screen TV's which some hotels have not switched over to yet, and the breakfast in the morning was great. For the cost of the room, and breakfast I would say we got a great deal, and a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family