“Great coffee and empanadas”
Review of Quiero Cafe

Quiero Cafe
Ranked #17 of 63 Restaurants in Saco
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

I tried the tomatoes empanada and it was great. Fresh ingredients and great taste
Will definitely go back and recommend!

Reviewed 11 June 2017

Great addition to downtown Saco that offers some of the best Latin flavors you can find in Maine outside of the foodie haven that is Portland.

Impressive variety of empanadas that offer different flavors for all (beef, chicken, mushroom, cheese, and more). The arepa with cheese is a very sweet treat that works as either a breakfast item or even a dessert. The tamales were very moist with good flavors and a little heat, some of the best I've found in the area.

You can't go wrong with any of the drinks offered. The coffee is pure Colombian, so you'll be hard pressed to find anything as rich or tasty. The different tropical juices are refreshing and offer you the chance to try flavors you might not find anywhere else (I recommend the Lulo!).

The owners are still updating the menu and say they're experimenting with hours, so stop by and give things a try and let them know what you think. It's one of the best spots in the area.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

I am pleasantly surprised with this new addition to Saco. I chose a variety of items as take away to surprise my wife with a unique treat. The quesadilla (mushroom, spinach, and oregano) was incredibly tasty and surprisingly filling. The sweet corn arepa with cheese was impressive and provided a pleasing yet unusual flavor. I went out on a limb and ordered a sweet empanada listed as cheese and guava. It sounds different and I really was not sure whether this was going to be a winner or something to just try once. In the past I had tried some of the beef based options in the empanadas list and they are stellar. I found the sweet empanada to be unexpectedly addictive. I could envision this becoming a breakfast favorite. The mix of flavor, sweetness, and pastry like shell has me believing it won’t be too long before I am back at Quiero Café for another one. I also brought home an order of tres leches cake from the dessert counter. That was the afternoon snack as the lunch items really filled us up. We both gave the cake two serious thumbs up.

3  Thank digipicjohn
Reviewed 27 May 2017

We sampled the tamales,empanadas and arepas.The tamale was mostly corn meal with a couple token small pieces of chicken...not an authentic Colombian tamale.The empanadas were good except one was almost empty inside. The arepa needed much more cheese on top.The coffee and service was excellent

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Quiero Café (translation: I want coffee) just opened on May 1, and we’ve already made 4 trips there! And I’m not even a coffee drinker – but it offers so much more – unique, creative items you won’t find elsewhere.

The friendly couple who owns and operates the café hail from Chile and Colombia, so these Latin treats are the real thing. Seven different empanadas are currently on the menu; we’ve had four of them and can highly recommend each one: carne (beef, rice, tomato); pino (ground beef, olives, raisins); champinon (mushrooms, spinach, cheese, oregano); and tomate (tomato, spinach, cheese, corn, basil). The flaky crust has just the right amount of thickness to hold in the flavorful fillings. We’ll be back soon to try the pollo (chicken, rice, tomato), chorizo (spicy sausage, potato, red peppers), and the sweet empanada with cheese and guava.

We’ve also tried the quesadilla with the winning combination of mushrooms, spinach, cheese, and oregano, and the chicken tamale. Both were outstanding. Arepas are also available.

As I said, I don’t drink coffee, but my husband does, and he said his cup was rich and full-bodied. There are numerous hot coffee-based drinks available, such as lattes, cappuccinos, and several Latin versions I was unfamiliar with. The gorgeous copper coffee/espresso maker looks like a work of art. And the non coffee drinker has an exciting array of beverage options to choose from, including cocoa, several types of fruit and veggie smoothies, tropical juices (such as passion fruit and mango), and my favorite – frozen lemonade with fruit juices. The mango lemonade is out of this world.

The desserts we’ve tried – flan and tres leches cake – are just as delicious as the other dishes.

The space is cheerful, warm, and inviting, with its exposed brick walls and tropical colors. You can either eat in or get your order to carry out. Quiero Café, located on Pepperell Square, is a very welcome addition to Saco’s dining scene, and is definitely worth a detour from other areas.

14  Thank VOYJEAN

Been to Quiero Cafe? Share your experiences!