“Arbitrary closures in the summer”
Review of Cockpit Cafe

Cockpit Cafe
Ranked #8 of 58 Restaurants in Sanford
Reviewed 23 July 2017

I have flown into Sanford airport three times in order to eat at this restaurant. Pilots call this the "100 dollar hamburger" but it is very popular here and at other airport restaurants.

During the week, the restaurant is supposed to be open until 2:00 pm. On two of the three occasions I came here, the restaurant decided to close at noon with no warning to customers because it was a summer day and "the kitchen was too hot". The first time was in July 2016. I thought they were having air conditioning problems so I let it pass. The second time was on July 21, 2017. I arrived at about 11:45. The door to the restaurant was locked and there was no response to knocking although there were customers and wait staff in the restaurant. The people at the FBO (airplane servicing facility not affiliated with the restaurant) once again rolled their eyes and told me that the kitchen was too hot so I was out of luck.

Fortunately, there is a gas station/convenience store right across the street with an impressive deli and pizzeria. For the second time I ordered a sub there and went back to the FBO to consume it in air conditioned comfort. While I was eating several people came in for lunch and found a locked door with at least one couple flying in like me. I directed them to the deli across the street where the food is probably better anyway.

My third visit here was on a Sunday in July 2017. I arrived at 11:00 am and ordered up a burger but they told me that they only did the breakfast menu on Sunday. I then ordered up some sort of egg sandwich. It was OK and reasonable but certainly nothing special. At about 11:30-11:45, I observed them locking the door again even though they were supposedly open until noon.

My impression overall is that this establishment is run with the convenience of the cooks and waiters as their number one priority. The food (the one time I got it) is mediocre. They are apparently not familiar with air conditioning in the kitchen. Customers come second. They do not take credit or debit cards (in 2017)! I think the owner was likely not on the premises. If I were the owner and I saw how they were running the place, there would be some people out of a job.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

We have been going here for about 20 years every summer... simply the best breakfast in town! This is the only place I will order Eggs Benedict! Its that good! Friendly staff too and a great view of the airplanes... kids especially enjoy that!

Reviewed 1 April 2017

I love saying, "I'm off to the Airport for breakfast". We sit next to the big windows overlooking the airport and watch small planes taxi in from the runways to have breakfast here. The food is good and the staff friendly.

1  Thank CaroleDearborn
Reviewed 5 January 2017

Best breakfast in the Sanford/Wells area. Reasonably priced. Very busy restaurant, but turnover is quick.

1  Thank Button143
Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

We knew there was a restaurant in the area but couldn't find it, so we asked two men on the side of the road and they told us that a great place for breakfast was the cockpit cafe at the Sanford Airport.
What w great place!! All four of us were impressed with the menu and the quality of food. We stopped around 9:30 am and the place was packed when we got there and at 10:00 am when we left The waitresses were attentive, and the food was delivered hot and plentiful. Delicious!!

1  Thank Barbara O