“Super food!”

Ranked #43 of 95 Restaurants in Scarborough
Price range: US$11 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Mexican food made with fresh ingredients and locally sourced whenever possible. Our recipes come from several regions in Mexico including Yucatan, Oaxaca, and Sonora. Almost everything on our menu is made entirely from scratch.
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Great margaritas and food! Would highly recommend . Kid friendly , good service !
Lots on their menu to choose from. You have to get their guacamole !

Date of visit: September 2017

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

We stopped here for dinner. Clean, fun and casual. Has bar with tv's outside and inside dining. Servers happy and helpful. Food was good. Frisbees for kids. In strip mall so plenty of parking.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 30 August 2017

We had a appointment in Scarborough at 2 PM, so we made the time to stop in at El Rayo. I had been to the one in Portland, and liked it, so I really wanted to try this one. I was not disappointed. My wife, who would not choose Mexican food as a first or second choice, went along to be nice. What sets El Rayo off from other run of the mill Mexican restaurants? Well, for one, they serve chilaquiles... a fairly common staple in many Mexican homes. Like a corn chip casserole, it's comfort food. And they served it with Swiss card and shredded pork. Yum! Muy Sabroso!

Since I know my wife's adverse reaction to spicy food, I recommended the fried scallop burrito. She was very positively impressed. The scallops were small, but tasty, and the rice was sauced with lime and cilantro. VERY good!

Yes, the freshness is apparent, and I love the tacky, colorful decor.

Their brunch specials look awesome, but we didn't order any.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Not a bad place. Food was tasty and the wait staff was very attentive. I would recommend El Rayo for a quick bite to eat.

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

El Rayo provides a colorful mix of flavors surrounded by blandness. This renovated Cumbys has great fish tacos, pork quesadillas and a wide variety of tequila concoctions.